Fireproofing certification?

gnomatron

I seem to recall that a few years ago there was a booklet called "Play Safe" published originally by the GLC which covered the info, (I think ABTT now print it).

I recall that there were two "standards" for theatre Class 0 and Class 1, But I can't seem to find the relevant BS numbers.

I suggest the OP might want to contact either PLASA or ABTT bot of who would have more info.

http://www.plasa.org

http://www.abtt.org.uk/pages/home/homeframes.html

• 9 months later...

To make life easy --- Here is the fire proofing solution and a list of items that they cover:

http://www.flints.co.uk/pdfcatalogue/flame_retardants.pdf

Flint Hire & Supply Ltd., Queens Row, London SE17 2PX tel 020 7703 9786 fax 020 7708 4189 flints.co.uk

Flamebar - Flamecheck - MSL Fire Check

Need some advice?

Some materials are easy to flameproof and some are notoriously difficult.

Generally the easy materials are the ones that will absorb the fireproofing solution such as cotton, cardboard and paper and the difficult ones are non absorbent such as shiny pvc and glossy plastics which should really be treated during manufacture.

If you have got a fireproofing problem why not tap into our thirty years of experience in the industry to guide you to the ideal product.

• 1 year later...
We've been asked by our local fire officer for certification that our drapes are fireproofed and the schedule for the reproofing, which we haven't been asked for before.

How does everyone else handle this? My preferred method would be to treat the drapes (standard black wool serge stuff, but old enough that we don't have the original certification) every 6 months with flambar and log that somewhere. Just wondering if this sort of procedure has been adequate to satisfy other fire officers, and more importantly whether it's enough for them to be safe, or whether I need to do more.

Here at Flamecheck International Ltd we provide a special forescent additive to our

M-111 product that shows under black light. We can match the color to the color of the curtain material. Then all it takes to know if the flame retardant is still on the fabric and active is to shine a black light at it. This is largely used in the USA but we would be happy to provide it to the UK. Remember we ship all UK orders of 200 litres or more free of charge right to your door. We can also provide training manuals and certification exams so that you can lable treated materials. If you wash the curtains you will need to retreat the curtains but if you use a non charged dry cleaning method our product will stay on. Always inspect with the black light after any cleaning. If you need any other help please do not hesitate to contact us, on clovato@flamecheckinternational.com

Archived