Show your school production

charl.ie

A big production musical like Fame HAS to have some money spent on sound. Its needs to be good or it just lets the entire show down, regardless of how great anything else is.

Couldn't agree more. And while the LX and set look good IMO, those C1000's just say it all... To me it seems like a classic case of "couldn't find the right mic for the job..." "...so let's use the C1000s. They'll sound crap but hey at least they'll work!" And that, in my mind, is completely the wrong way to go about sound - especially for a musical! If they were just speaking then I could understand it a tad more. But how an MD can think sound isn't important for a musical.. don't the two go hand in hand?!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But how an MD can think sound isn't important for a musical.. don't the two go hand in hand?!

It wasn't that he thought it wasn't important - it's just that I think he was a bit misguided. But being the LD and knowing relatively little about sound, I kept out of those discussions :rolleyes:

To be honest the way it was put together was a bit random, and that's one of my major problems with school shows; there's often little organisation. For example they spent £330 on hiring a Glaciator because the pyrotechnician thought it'd 'look amazing', but I was questioned about a £30 glass gobo. £1200 was spent on a set, but they only had £100 for radio mic hire. And the school principal frequently interfered in almost every aspect to the show, often to the detriment of the show itself.

The show itself was easily the best show they've ever produced, but I just wasn't a fan of how it was put together.

But how an MD can think sound isn't important for a musical.. don't the two go hand in hand?!
But no doubt he'd complain to no end if the band sounded crap or he couldn't hear the cast singing.. even though it'd be due to his poor choice of gear!

I've come across these types of situations before, there's a few people who think they know whats best, then make a decision, but blame everyone else, should it eventually go tits up! And no, this wasn't just in school/am-dram environments..

Glad the show worked out ok in the end, though if your involved next time.. I suspect you'll make sure you get a word in about sound too eh :rolleyes:

T

For example they spent £330 on hiring a Glaciator because the pyrotechnician thought it'd 'look amazing', but I was questioned about a £30 glass gobo.

If "it looks amazing" is the get out card for anything then I'd use it if I were you! <_< In all seriousness though, people seem to ask silly questions in my experience because they basically don't understand a thing that's going on. So they're only to be expected really - just argue the case and don't be daunted by them :rolleyes:

Luckily in my old school we pretty much had more than we needed already to put on school shows and we were literally given scripts and allowed to plan things about a month in advance with stuff we already had - though I appreciate that's probably about as good as it gets!

I've come across these types of situations before, there's a few people who think they know whats best, then make a decision, but blame everyone else, should it eventually go tits up! And no, this wasn't just in school/am-dram environments..

Oh yes. That old chesnut. Reminds me of the time I'd been moaning about a little Behringer desk that'd been on it's way out for weeks and trying to get them to replace it, then in the middle of assembly, BANG. I was just expecting it to die in a hissy fit rather than do that, but hey it woke everyone up! Still, I think the best one I had was being asked why the singers sounded like they were all out of tune and getting told to sort it out...

Anyway, sorry I'm drifting OT a bit. Glad the show went well, and hopefully it'll be a learning experience for the whole team for the next one!

Right, thought I'd post some photos on here from our last gig at the BRIT School, was a show called "BRIT Idol" basically a X Factor type competition. I was one of the two Lighting Designers for it, and I was also the Chief LX for the Show. We used WYSIWYG to design the show, and it was all programmed using an ETC Ion.

Equipment Wise:

4 Mac 250 Entours

4 Mac 500s

4 Tourwash 250s

around 20 Par Cans

4 Floods (for the shadow screens)

Around 10 Source Fours

About 30ish Fresnels (strand cantantas, ADB Europe F101s and F103s)

8 Chroma Q Scrollers

Birdies (as truss toners)

ZR22 Smoke Machine

Stage Hazer

Data smoke machine

Programmed and run on the ETC Ion

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/benn_boy/IDOL-1.jpg

The opening sequence of the show (shadow screens on, and searchlight type effect)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/benn_boy/16072008350.jpg

One of the scenes for the acts.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/benn_boy/16072008354.jpg

Another Scene for an act.

Hey Guys

Some really sweet set ups there, looking good. Our school rig is disgraceful. An ancient Zero88 console (Level12 I think) and a number of old Zero88 analog dimmer packs. 5 PAR64s and a bunch of rubbish fresnels and other assorted spots. No DMX in sight :) The school has exactly £0 budget for sound and lighting gear and school productions. Sound system =Old Peavey CS800 which gives you electric shocks and one channel does not work, 2x no name brand Disco speakers and a tiny behringer mixer. It sucks! Anyway, rant over.

Cheers

Adamski

Very nice Mr Crazytown!!

I do like the screens. Neat, simple but very effective. What would of been really good is if they had been made out of white guaze and you could still have had the bleed through, but then had media on it from the front as well!!!

Still good though. Does all that truss belong to the venue? Im looking for a good price on mylo box truss for 1 x 1M, 4 x 2M and 3 x 3M....

which gives you electric shocks

If I were you, I'd moan about that until they got something to replace it... That's really not something that should be happening, especially in a school!

Yeah, I've tried but management just don't care. Until somebody actually gets hurt by the dodgy rigging or electrics their not interested. I bring my own system in to do the major productions so people can avoid using rubbish school gear. Even though I'm head tech, I carry no weight with management.

Cheers

Adam

which gives you electric shocks

If I were you, I'd moan about that until they got something to replace it... That's really not something that should be happening, especially in a school!

Yeah, I've tried but management just don't care. Until somebody actually gets hurt by the dodgy rigging or electrics their not interested. I bring my own system in to do the major productions so people can avoid using rubbish school gear. Even though I'm head tech, I carry no weight with management.

Cheers

Adam

That situation is totally unacceptable. If the Head Teacher, Deputy Heads or Business Manager aren't interested in the fact that they have a fatal accident waiting to happen in their school, then you should immediately contact Head of Education Services, at your local Council and get some action.

Very nice Mr Crazytown!!

I do like the screens. Neat, simple but very effective. What would of been really good is if they had been made out of white guaze and you could still have had the bleed through, but then had media on it from the front as well!!!

Still good though. Does all that truss belong to the venue? Im looking for a good price on mylo box truss for 1 x 1M, 4 x 2M and 3 x 3M....

Cheers mate, we were going to have the gauze but the budget didn't allow to buy it, so we had to make do with the white canvas stuff we had. But I'll remember that for shows next year.

All the truss belongs to the BRIT school though, we have got loads of it, all the proper stuff as well, Thomas box truss, and Tomcat Ladder truss.

Was a good laugh (and hard work) doing the get in and out for it though, with three of us.

Ahh right. Where ru based? Do you hire it , along with slings etc to hang it? Im looking to hire forementioned lengths for a couple of weeks in early december.

The college is based in croydon, but I doubt it gets hired out, but have you tried white light, they do good rates for top range truss and they'll do some sort of discount as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is for a charity rock show I LD'd

From memory, 6 mac 300's and 2 mac 500's

2 LED battons (not sure of make)

A lazer (again not sure of make, never used one before but looked pretty neat)

as well as the school generic lighting

Controlled by a Jands Vista T2

It was all rigged in a day by an inexperienced team (to say the least) lead by myself (a soundie) and was controlled by head of lamps.

Hire was around about £300 thanks to a pal who owns a nice big lighting company :wall:

Let me know what you think

http://gallery.me.com/jony.reynolds/100063/n507127779_851472_7705/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/jony.reynolds/100063/n507127779_889942_1447/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/jony.reynolds/100063/n507127779_889935_9043/web.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of the images, haven't got any originals

My last show at my college! I was LD and it was a blast. Probably my favorite show so far and I loved the way it came out.

Dead Man Walking

by Tim Robbins

The Gear:

(1) ETC Express 48/96

(3) Unison DR24 (Total Dimmers: 72)

(30) ETC Source 4 Jr Zoom

(30) ETC Source 4 ParNEL

(24) ETC Source 4 ParEA

(2) ETC Source 4 50°

(4) ETC Source 4 36°

(12) Apollo SmartColor 7.5" Scroller

(2) Apollo SmartColor 5.25" Scroller

(2) Apollo SmartRotator DMX Gobo Rotator

(4) Apollo RightArm

(1) 10'x12' Front/Rear Projector Screen

(1) Hitachi CP-X1250 4,500 Lumens LCD Projector

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/titanium878/Dead%20Man%20Walking/DSC_0108.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/titanium878/Dead%20Man%20Walking/DSC_0204.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/titanium878/Dead%20Man%20Walking/DSC_0271.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome, as long as it's constructive.

Thanks!

Archived