Hearing protection

timtheenchanteruk

I`m looking at getting a decent set of ear plugs, not the custom ones, theyre a bit out of budget I think, but I want somthing better than the yellow disposables.

I need to know what sort of filters I would need in them, and what sort of atenuation.

the areas I work are generally no more than 110Db these being in close proximity to practising bands at work, some events I go to, and whilst trying to rig around a brass band!!!!

any advice welcome

I`m looking at getting a decent set of ear plugs, not the custom ones, theyre a bit out of budget I think, but I want somthing better than the yellow disposables.

I need to know what sort of filters I would need in them, and what sort of atenuation.

the areas I work are generally no more than 110Db these being in close proximity to practising bands at work, some events I go to, and whilst trying to rig around a brass band!!!!

any advice welcome

I use these

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71979

which are quite good when you need to still hear everything clearly but just at a lower volume! I would say however that even with the highest filters in they dont kill that much of the volume, but maybe thats because they dont make the sound muffled so it does not seem that much quieter?

I use the same ones as AlexT, not for live music events (I'm a lampie), but for drumming. They really do work quite well, I can stop drumming and hear what someone else is saying without taking them out. Highly recommended.

I have both a pair of the ER-20s, and a pair of the alpine ones.

The ER-20s are quite large, so if you have smaller ears then the alpines may be more suited. However the alpines are harder to put in (you have to use the little tube they come with) as they are not as rigid as the ER-20s. Also remember the alpines come with 2 different changeable inserts (15dB and 20dB or similar), whereas the ER-20s are fixed.

I generally have my ER-20s on a landyard for when I need some earplugs. But if I know I'm going to be using them for a long time, and want the more comfortable ones I'll use the alpines (if I took them with me!).

On the audio quality side, both are resonably good, however I'd favor the ER-20s.

I just brought the alpine ones... got this set they are pretty good

I agree with kevin about this;

good when you need to still hear everything clearly but just at a lower volume! I would say however that even with the highest filters in they dont kill that much of the volume, but maybe thats because they dont make the sound muffled so it does not seem that much quieter?

even with the highest attenuation set you can still hear the most quite things clearly. but they protect well when you have loud volumes around. im yet to try them with proper 'industrial' speakers, but with my hifi' turned up to max and my ear next to the speaker it gives pretty good protection!

p.s if you can then I would go for custom made ones. as they would of corse give the perfect protection

Im leaning towards the alpines at the moment, mainly because of the changable filter.

does anyone know anyting about the alpine music safe plugs? they seem to be simialr to the others, but have 3 filters, not just 2.

The ones I have come with 3 filters but I only use the gold ones as the other ones dont seem to provide as much protection. They might be useful if you were using them to just knock a few dB off but not much use for loud shows IMHO

• 1 month later...
I have just got some ER-20's. They are no where near as good as I thought they might be. I think I might order some Alpines tonight. I think I must have unusually small ear canals or something I cant get the ER-20's in too well, and the old disposable foam ones even when I tried to put in properly they didn't like going in.

I have just got some ER-20's. They are no where near as good as I thought they might be. I think I might order some Alpines tonight. I think I must have unusually small ear canals or something I cant get the ER-20's in too well, and the old disposable foam ones even when I tried to put in properly they didn't like going in.

Etymotic now make 'baby blue' ER-20's for small ear canals. I don't know what their availability in the UK is, but they're out there. If you're regularly using them, maybe you should consider custom plugs...

Archived