Which filter????

dizzidido4

Do you mean that you want an effect on an actor's face that looks like the glare of a TV? Do you plan on it flickering at all to simulate the movement of images? If so, perhaps you could look at a (forget the name, but a wheel with holes cut in it to allow the passage of light... stroboscope?)

Also, do you have a swatchbook? This is the best and easiest way to select colour ;)

I've always found the most effective way to replicate the flickering of a TV is to get 3 or 4 fluorescent light starters and wire them in series with ordinary d0m3stic lightbulbs - that way you get a nice random flicker. The trick is to have one lightbulb that is always on, and with three or four flickering it looks good. I've always tended to use the CT blues (200, 201, 202) for the TV effect, but that's just personal choice.

I had to create a TV effect and it had to follow an audio track - what was being spoken on the TV at that time. A bit of quick work with iMovie created some vision to follow the audio, play it back through a projector that had some frost over the front and it looked eerily real.

The most important thing is making the light match what you know is going on with the TV at that time... eg. if it is an interview between two people then the image will mainly be steady but change when the different voices change.

If it is just a background TV effect then I'd be tempted to try a split colour with an out of focus breakup gobo to give a bit of texture - in my opinion the colour would have to be chosen relative to the other light on stage at that time to get the right effect.

2 questions for you Dizzi:

1) What colour is the glaring of a TV? (If you don't know you might turn one on and see what happens)

2) What is the nearest to that in a swatch? (If you don't have one I'm sure you could find one somewhere at your college)

You may find that answers your question. ;)

Seriously, though, there's a lot more to lighting design than just picking colours. I lit a show once in which the first half was lit entirely in open white (to contrast with the second half which had lots of saturated colours). That doesn't mean there was only one lighting state for Act 1.

You can imagine that if someone asked, in the sound forum, about the sound effect of a vehicle arriving people would instantly ask: car or van?; big or small?, new or old? petrol or diesel? recorded from inside or outside the vehicle? what sort of street is it in? does the engine turn off or stay on? etc. etc. etc. You may want to look a little deeper into the initial question what that idea in mind.

Finally, have you considered using an actual TV pointed at the cast from on the floor? Practicals are wonderful things.

Do you mean that you want an effect on an actor's face that looks like the glare of a TV? Do you plan on it flickering at all to simulate the movement of images? If so, perhaps you could look at a (forget the name, but a wheel with holes cut in it to allow the passage of light... stroboscope?)

The mechanical strobe effect is called a "Lobsterscope". The name comes from the shape of the holes in the disc which resemble lobster claws.

HTH

Archived