How do you store your Mic stands for transport?

djtom29

some form of routine is usually best, then things don't get lost....

usually clips go with the mic, this way when you pick up any mic and any stand you know they will go together.....

happy days!!

That is pretty much the logic we use - clip stays with mic so a) you know it is there when you pack it away, and b) no matter which stand you pull out, you know you have a clip for it!

We had a touring act through the other day using a couple of rigid golf bags to carry mic stands. The dividers in the bag were just right to separate the stands, the clips went in the ball pouch and the rain cover held everything in. They'd even left the shoulder strap on making carrying much easier.

One caution: I was impressed enough by the idea that I tried this at home with my rarely used golf set. On my golf bag, the dividers were too close together to fit my stands in...so if you think of trying this, choose your bag carefully.

Bob

We normally keep clips on stands. The logic behind it is that we'd probably lose more clips than we break this way, and we also save time by not having to screw them on every time (which does add up to a fair chunk of time if you've got 15+ stands to do!)

If you use rubber clips they are a lot less likely to break than the cheaper ones that are made out of more brittle plastic. We also seem to get on OK with the ones which come free with SM57s & 58s. What we've done to get round the mic size issue is actually pad out some of our smaller diameter mics so that they fit straight into standard clips. It's only bigger mics, like handheld radios, that need the clip changed, and usually we will put one stand with a larger clip into each bag of five.

Our experience with the Penn bags Bruce mentions above was not good. I found that the zip is a weak point, and the stands would burst out of the ends.

As I said above, the Penn (etc) bags are fine for "light duty". You even get "inner sleeves", of lighter material, to stop the stands scratching each other. I used them the for the first week or so, then decided it was too much hassle :(

At work we have a few Penn bags for storing speaker stands (also Penn I am assuming they came together although were not delivered direct to my site so cant be sure) They are not very strong at all. The zip on all the bags were broken or badly damaged in just a few uses and the ends ripped through not much after that, I currently work in-house so they never get put in vans and are always carefully looked after they are simply not strong enough for more than a few jobs.

A cheap alternative to a soft mic stands/speaker stands bag, is a bag originally designed for fishing rods!

Some have compartments to keep things separate and they have shoulder protection too.

These can be picked up for cheaper than the traditional soft carry bags and are tough as well.

John Denim.

Archived