need inexpensive mini colour cctv camera

egri

I'm maybe looking for an inexpensive mini colour cctv camera to put on the lighting bar in the auditorium to view an image of the stage on a tv monitor. Where can I get a cheap camera that will do this. Preferably one of those really tiny ones. It would need to work in pretty bright and low light without making vast amounts of the picture total white. Do you think the Mini COLOUR CCTV CAMERA on maplin.co.uk would be suitable?

Wayne@bigbrothersecurity.org.uk is a good cctv installer and theatre/club aware. You will be looking at a good quality camera with auto iris lens to get even half decent resolotion. and you will need to run a 75ohm video lineto the monitor and may need a distribution amp if there are several users of the signal or too many metres of cable. Check what lens focal length you will need, cheap cctv cams have such a wide lens as to be uselessat more than 3metres.

Hello all.

I maybe able to help you out a bit here.

When you are buying a camera, there are two things to bare in mind the TVL (the overall quality of the picture) and the LUX level (what the minimum amount the cam needs to 'see') most of the cheaper cameras have a tvl of roughly 280 -350 tvl, they give a very disappointing image. the best image will come from a camera from about 400tvl to 700 tvl. Cheaper cameras also will not work on a lux level below about 1.8, this will not be good enough in a theatre environment, for that kinda light changes you need something that works down to 0.05lux.

monochrome cams will also give a better image in darkness when compared to colour cams, but colour cams will give a better image in normal to bright light. I would recommend a day/night cam, this will give the best of both worlds, colour in daylight, mono in darkness.

if you wanna price on a cam, give me a tinkle and I'll sort something out for you.

Wayne (Big Brother Security)

Archived