Green Wash

Wuddy

Hi,

I'm just on with lighting a show where at ceratin points the director wants a green wash and then certain actots are picked up with specials to deliver their lines, like an aside to the general action.

The director informs me that a green wash is the recognised/standard lighting state to indicate all cast freeze perfectly still.

Not one I've come across before, just out of curiosity can anyone confirm this?

Never heard of this, if I have ever done this sort of state, I have always used a really dark red, or a very cool blue, and from a personal point of view it has always worked, and the director has not said otherwise.

Strange...

He's talking rubbish - there's no such thing as a "Recognised/standard practice" to indicate a cast 'freeze'.

- The last time I did a show that had such a 'freeze', it was indicated by a pyro!

If the director wants green, then they get green.

They are the one who have control of the overall vision - there's no need to dress it up!

I'll agree with everyone thus far - this director is speaking from his nether regions!

What happens during a 'freeze' is entirely up to him, of course, and you should do as he asks, BUT it's by no means 'standard'. I've used, and seen used, many ways of indicating this sort of effect from different colour washes, to back-light only, to silhouette, etc, etc.

Never heard of it as a lighting tech, never heard of it as an actor, and we generally let the director direct the actors before the premiere rather than use the entire stage as an indicator light. ...Or a really big game of Twister.

Thanks everyone for the input, all your replies concur with my thinking.

I just wanted to check, I've only been doing this job for thirty five years, albeit in the amateur field and thought maybe I missed something.

I will now safely dispatch my directrors pearl of wisdom to the recycle bin.

There's nothing to say that the idea of a green wash is 'wrong' per se, and if the director wants it, then he wants it - and you should of course endeavour to deliver his vision.

There's nothing to stop you making alternate suggestions - eg "How would this look" or "Could we try this"...

But if green is his choice even then, well give him what he wants!

Yes he did get it (ought have been in the neck,** laughs out loud **) and it did work, and looked well, it's just that contrary to his belief, a green wash is not the international lighting state to signify everybody stand still.

Archived