Small setup

TomLyall

ive been asked, by my uncle and his band, to create them a small setup for their band, at the moment, im thinking 6 par 64s on two t bar stands, two alphapack2's and controling them via my new DMX interface,

I was going to go for a betapack2 as that would be cheaper than two alphas, however I dont think their would be sufficent power avaliable in these venues for a betapack

I just wondered if anyone has any ideas, either what to buy or where to buy it,

thanks in advance,

Tom

How about using Source Four Pars (or Chinese/Twainese Copies) as these only suck 575w so you can either have more bang for your bucks, or you can easily fit it onto a couple of 13A sockets.

They do cost a little bit more to start off with, but you get the 4 lenses, the lamps are cheaper, and smaller (so delivery of a few would be cheaper also) and they are safer.

Stu

For a band, you could probably get away with Par56s. Many of the more disco suppliers (Terralec, for example) will sell you a ready made bar with 8 x P56 plus 2 x DMX dimmer and a controller, and you will probably get change out of £900.

See Terralec - ELP16

They are the Chinese copies - in my experience they are not as nice as the ETC 'kosher' lanterns, but they aren't bad for the price I suppose... The lens are a pain in the arse to get out on them tho, as I found out to my cost ;) But it does mean you only have to order 1xHPL for each lantern, instead of a 60, 61, 62 etc etc - Plus no hand in lantern to rotate the beam either.

Stu

Just a quick thought following previous experience of lighting bands in pubs, always check what else is running from the ring main before you turn up a single channel. Ask to be shown the fusebox and trace the circuit. Sometimes they will be already taking up a fair bit of power. If you bring up 10A when they're already using 25A of a 30A ring main, they won't be too happy! One place I went had replaced a fuse one time and put the wrong fuse back into the wrong hole. They were running a 30A ring main off a 15A fuse (which they'd forced into the fusebox somehow). They were then using about 12A already off the ring main. I brought up 1 channel and all was well, but as soon as I brought up the second it took the fuse (surprise, surprise!). Had to do a little moving round of fuses, bending back of contacts, borrowing fuse from elsewhere to replace blown fuse etc. etc. Took a while to sort out and thoroughly learnt my lesson! Checked the circuits ever since.

www.dfb-uk.com offered me par 56s inc lamp for £25 inc each lets you have lots of lights or fewer if there's a power shortage.

Pubs use beer soaked string to distribute power avoid their ring mains. look for a ceeform outlet cos that should be a suitably sized and fused spur-- only you using it

on the 'copy' front - I note behringer is now into lighting - DMX control for less than £140 and the etc look-a-likes too. They've also got a cheap 6 x10 amp DMX dimmerpack. I've also come accross a similar pack from someone called stairville? The behringer pack is just over £200 inc vat.

ceeforms in pubs? not in my area - just a few stained double 13a's if you're lucky!

right ive decided on my shoping list now, sortof...

£225 - 3 x Multidim 4 channel 5 amp dimmer (£75 each)

£200 - 10 x Ex-hire par 64's, including lamps

£100 - 3 x t-bar stands, cheap ones from maplin (... yeah I know, you get what you pay for)

£52 - 4 x 20m DMX cables

£180 - Extensions, plugs, adaptors etc

Total, £750, does this seem a good price for what im getting? is there anything crucial ive forgotten (except a desk... still deciding)?

Tom

Archived