Birdies Par 16s

egri

I've seen these black circular plates about 10cm in diameter with holes for 3 screws around the edges, and a thread and bolt in the centre, used to attatch a birdie. These were positioned along the front of the stage. Does anywhere know where to get these? If not, what do you use as a stand for birdies? Where can I get barn doors for birdies?

Also, what is the best conector to use to connect the birdies to their transformer? I've gather 3 pin XLR is used commonly, but they are expensive connectors (£2.50 each - that's £30 for 6 birdies). What pins are used for what? What would happen if I used a mic lead as an extension flex?

What's the best place to buy birdies from? I own a single birdie made by DTS but it's only suitable for 50W bulbs.

Basically, tell me everything you know about birdies... but particularly, where do you get these "base plates" which I've only ever seen once.

I've seen these black circular plates about 10cm in diameter with holes for 3 screws around the edges, and a thread and bolt in the centre, used to attatch a birdie. These were positioned along the front of the stage. Does anywhere know where to get these? If not, what do you use as a stand for birdies? Where can I get barn doors for birdies?

Also, what is the best conector to use to connect the birdies to their transformer? I've gather 3 pin XLR is used commonly, but they are expensive connectors (£2.50 each - that's £30 for 6 birdies). What pins are used for what? What would happen if I used a mic lead as an extension flex?

What's the best place to buy birdies from? I own a single birdie made by DTS but it's only suitable for 50W bulbs.

Basically, tell me everything you know about birdies... but particularly, where do you get these "base plates" which I've only ever seen once.

The plates are probably standard conduit box plates that you can buy from your electrical wholesaler for pence, you can get them with a collar and nut that will fit a Birdie.

The XLR is used a lot, but it's not really the right connector as it can easily get confused with audio. There all sorts of different power connectors you can get, some much cheaper and some more expensive, really depends on what you prefer. Check out Maplin or RS, make sure the connector can take the current (7A ish for a 75W birdie).

Best place to buy them is where you can get the cheapest price!! The DTS ones are OK, let's face it you don't need much in the way of features out of a Birdie, the Thomas ones are very good, but very expensive!

Andy Stone

Stagetec Distribution

At our college we just use old scrappy bits of 1' x 3' wood and screw the frame of the birdie into them and if then we gaff or screw these bits of wood intio the floor.

I'd start talking about how we connect them upto the transformers but I can't remember names (we don't use XLRs though) it's a crimped piece of plastic with like a small socket in, please can someone help me out here please as I don't know the name for this myself, (I think it's like what they use to connects electrics up in cars)

hope I've helped a bit if any

Chris

I'd start talking about how we connect them upto the transformers but I can't remember names (we don't use XLRs though) it's a crimped piece of plastic with like a small socket in, please can someone help me out here please as I don't know the name for this myself, (I think it's like what they use to connects electrics up in cars)

Bullet crimps. Useful for birdie connections, as they can be passed through very small holes in fascias, bits of flattage, etc. allowing the transformer to be conveniently mounted out of sight.

Are you sure the birdies you saw werent the ones with the integral transformers.

(Sorry but this is the best pic I can find)

http://www.pslx.co.uk/store/storepics/30111t.jpg

This one has the transformers built into the base - which makes them very convinient for standing on the edge of the stage but harder for flying them.

http://www.pslx.co.uk/store/storepics/30221.jpg

And that's what birdie barn doors look like - I know they are available but can't seem to find a price for them online. I'm sure if you give your usual supplier a ring they can quote you.

James

Sorry to steal this thread...

Does anyone know the spec of the dimmable transformers needed for birdies (on single circuits). I'm trying to price up some - the Thomann birdies come without wiring sets too, so if anyone knows the product code for those it would be useful.

Ta muchly

Peter

I have a single dimable transformer which I got from maplin. It's 60VA max It's dimmable. Didn't come with any wires, so I used some two core cable.

by the way, is VA equivilant to Watts since power=voltagexcurrent?

However, I've recently seen suitable transformers on www.screwfix.com for less than £6 each, but they'll only support 50W bulbs and not 75W. They are dimable.

by the way, is VA equivilant to Watts since power=voltagexcurrent?

In this application, yes (almost).

brain, for the interested among us, could you please explain the difference, and maybe an example of what situation it would be different in

for A.c theres this nasty little thing called power factor were either the voltage or current gets lazy if it has to travel through a large inductive (electric motor for example) or capacitve load and one lags behind the other,this is a bit of a pain cos at school we were all taught power = volts x amps ,perfectly true for D.C or purley resitive loads(because a purley restive loads power factor is 1) but for everything elese power = volts x amps x power factor (or cos theta if were being posh,were theta is the angle that one waveform leads or lags the other).

Archived