Remote control effect

Stutwo

Hello all,

We're toying with the idea of putting a self powered remote effect in a stage truck. The truck is fairly isolated when onstage and wouldn't take anyone behind it/in it. What we're thinking of is this:

A Car Battery running through an inverter to power two lightbulbs at the base of an old electric fire (the bars long since removed and all wiring other than the bulbs now gone), to end up with a fire effect in a hearth on the truck. Now, if we have to, we'll run it from a switch on the side of the truck but that would be the worst case scenario. We'd ideally like to run it via a remote control car/plane servo. Maybe the servo could activate a rocker switch? The maximum range would be around 7 metres, and we would need to activate/deactivate around 4 times in the scene it would be in.

Anyone any thoughts or experiences with remote control and could advise? Ta.

Ike nice idea cheap and simple BUT........ as I understand it by what was described the fire would have a 12v dc supply and not a 240v ac supply which is what the product you reccomended needs, also I gather everthing is contained on the truck (fire power supply etc etc) and the device you suggest would have to be plugged into a supply socket and then a cable plugged into it and then run to the fire on the truck, which if you were going to do you may aswell just have a guy there flicking the wall socket switch on and off.

it is fairly simple to make a IR or RF controlled switch (RF being the better of the 2 as you dont have to point the remote control exactly at the thing your controlling) that would go between the power supply (in this case the 12v car battery ) and the fire. All the bits needed can be bought from some where like Maplins electrics, in fact im sure they even used to do a couple in kit form,or already made (to controll garage doors or outside lights etc.price £5 to £15).

I have made several props which have had low voltage IR RF controlled devices in them the last being a medallion with a 12v led in the centre of it which had to flash faster and faster as a vampire got closer to the wearer. (god I love my work haha)

The servo idea is also a way of doing this but a lot less reliable (moving parts) and probably more expensive

if you need any information on exactly on how to make the swich (to long winded to describe in forum) let me know (I usually charge for this stuff haha) or find your local maplins and if the staff are any good there they will point you in the right direction and give you advice or visit their web site and check out IR RF receivers.

hope this helps!

A Car Battery running through an inverter...

(My bold)

:)

Yep, that's what the OP wrote, but personally I would stay away from inverters and just use 12V car lamps. I've done a very similar thing with a cannibalised radio control car from Maplins that only cost me £9.99 in their post-Christmas clearance sale a couple of years ago. You'll need a relay between the radio receiver/actuator and the lamps. This truck or even this little critter are both on special offer just now and either could easily be adapted.

Hello all,

We're toying with the idea of putting a self powered remote effect in a stage truck. The truck is fairly isolated when onstage and wouldn't take anyone behind it/in it. What we're thinking of is this:

A Car Battery running through an inverter to power two lightbulbs at the base of an old electric fire (the bars long since removed and all wiring other than the bulbs now gone), to end up with a fire effect in a hearth on the truck. Now, if we have to, we'll run it from a switch on the side of the truck but that would be the worst case scenario. We'd ideally like to run it via a remote control car/plane servo. Maybe the servo could activate a rocker switch? The maximum range would be around 7 metres, and we would need to activate/deactivate around 4 times in the scene it would be in.

Anyone any thoughts or experiences with remote control and could advise? Ta.

Stu,

got your pm and I tried to reply several times but it said it failed because the username does not exist.? pm me ur email and send the reply to there ..

Univrsl IR RC System N39FL

£20 from Maplin is an infra red kit for Low Volts control. Probably drive some big power fets or relays to control the lamps.

B&Q were selling off some remote control light switches recently - unit between two bayonet connectors and a remote like a big button light switch. That runs mains though.

Batteries always need the correct charger and charging routine.

Univrsl IR RC System N39FL

£20 from Maplin is an infra red kit for Low Volts control. Probably drive some big power fets or relays to control the lamps.

B&Q were selling off some remote control light switches recently - unit between two bayonet connectors and a remote like a big button light switch. That runs mains though.

Batteries always need the correct charger and charging routine.

That's a neat little infra-red control and would certainly work, but requires line-of-sight to operate. That may be OK for the OP, however a cannibalised radio control might be more useful for a little more work.

Archived