Lighting At The Grammys

ThomJ

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me what LED lighting they were using behind the bands at the Grammys.

I didn't see the whole show so I'm really asking about the ones behind the Foo Fighters - they looked like a big moving head type but with a bright LED wash output.

Any info would be most welcome.

Many Thanks

Thom

They were High End SHOWGUNS (letters capitalised to adhere to manufacturers wishes ;)).

There's been plenty of talk on here about these fixtures if your that interested, just show SHOWGUN (with or without capitals) into the search.

Yes they certainly do - but if you look at the event footage they do look like very bright LED cans (groups of dots)

Well, apart from the MPEG blocking you can also see the Venetian blind dimmer in several shots which might, at a stretch of the imagination, make them look like LEDs. The giveaway that they ain't LEDs is the early shot when you can see the scroller changing.

They are Syncrolite SX3000's with one of the scrollers being used as a gobo scroll.

Is that what that trick was. Neat! Do you know by chance what's the gobo material use for the gobo scrolls? I've never seen that before...

Also, for the person above mentioning SHOWGUNs, if you look at 5:22 to 5:28 in the (

) video, there were, in fact SHOWGUNs as part of the rig.

Spot on about the syncro's though.

Well, apart from the MPEG blocking you can also see the Venetian blind dimmer in several shots ...

Ahh thats how they strobe them so fast without damaging the lamp!

This may be a stupid question and again ever so slightly off topic but is there such a thing as a venetian blind dimmer that you could put in a regular barndoor slot for example. Possibley DMX controlled?

Martin

Archived