Ethernet port advantages

Bad_Rock

DMX over mains has been developed and is out there, it was developed a few years ago (I think it was first shown at PLASA in... 2005. I think, don't hold me to that one). Avolites are manufacturing these, I helped to set this up with the guy who developed it at PLASA when it was shown (used to setup the Avo stand). At first I was very sceptical and initially it didn't work, unitl we figured out it was because the lights in question we're on a different phase to the one we we're transmitting on. Once the fixtures we're repatched onto the same phase then it worked straight away!. Anway it's called mDMX and the link has some details. I believe that he was working on the phasing issue so that one transmitter could be used for all three phases, this was quite a while ago so may have been solved by now.

It just needs the fixture manufacturers to take up a protocol and implement it into there lights.

Cheers

Dan

I'm actually extremely confused about WHO owns the mDMX system.

According to this article, it's actually patented by dAFTdATA - both Avolites and dAFTdATA claim to have won the 2006 PLASA innovation award.

More pertinently, at the moment it only seems to be possible to buy one from dAFTdATA.

Well... dAFTdATA is owned/run by Chris Crockford (who design's the products including the mDMX box). I knew that he was on the Amptown stand this year instead of his usual place on the Avolites stand. At the time of the PLASA award (2006) Chris was working with Avolites, but it would appear now that they are not working together anymore (This is only an assumption and is in no way gospel!).

I would hazard a guess that mDMX is owned by Chris (dAFTdATA), but as mentioned above I don't know this for sure.

Cheers

Dan

mDMX is a daftdata product, developed by Chris and his team, seeing that the avolites web site last updated 4/2/08 still has eDMX and mDMX listed as products ,assumption would be, that dAFTdATA are still supplying Avo, a bit like they are providing Zero 88.

trying to keep on topic I belive that the dAFTdATA products are one of the few that can handle artnet or DMX

An interesting idea. I know EoP has been around which is the computer networks counterpart. The network topology of the whole thing is what would worry me. The Avo page doesn't meantion how the signal gets in to the power network. Is it an interrupt so the DMX signal only goes one way? Or is it just generally fed in how EoP works, which has always struck me as a big security flaw in a private network built on the technology as the next person on the same power source as you could in theory access that network.

But certianly a good way around the 2 cable issue.

Archived