Programming Moving Lights on Fat Frog

AlanW

Hi

Firstly I am sorry if this seems a little basic to you all but I would appreciate any help you could offer me so I can get tiny mind around the problem.

I have a Fat Frog desk running verion 10.4 (about to upgrade to 10.9). I have only once programmed moving lights before with rather 'random' results ie lights moving from A to B, but changing gobos and colours en route in full view, not quite the idea.

I wondered if some one would be good enough to take the time to show me (in a similar layout to how I would see it on the monitor) the programming 'process' and the thought process behind it. ie. if the head is moving from A - B and I want a gobo change so nobody could see how do I do it?

Thank you for your time and if you have any other hints or tips I'm listening!

Cheers

Alan

if the head is moving from A - B and I want a gobo change so nobody could see how do I do it?

You need to do it in a blackout between scenes.

i.e. Cue 1: Lights up

Cue 2: Blackout

Cue 3: Change the Gobo/Colour/Position, etc... of your movers

Cue 4: Next scene

Hope this helps

You can try setting the beam shape to snap in the cue (doesn't make it invisible, but makes it as quick as the fixture can do it). Also if the fixtures you're using have a move whilst dark function accessible via DMX you can try setting that.

By far the best way however is to make cues with the fixtures in the position they are to finish in, and the correct colour, gobo, etc selected but intensity (or if you want a snap, shutter) blacked out. If there's a black out between scenes, then use this cue, otherwise an a cue set to auto follow, with the correct generic on at the start of the cue, with a dwell time just long enough for the fixtures to move. If the cue before doesn't have the movers in then the solution is to position them during that.

Hope this makes some sort of sense

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your replies

Dave - I am based in Skipton in Yorkshire

Modge - I know some desks have move when dark but, if I understand you, some fixtures also have this facility? The Fat Frog curently does not.

Thanks again

Alan

Yerp, I've been on a Northern Stage course on the fat frog, great course! Helped that there were only 4 of us on the course and I was the only one who had heard about DMX before and had actually sat behind a desk!

Hi There,

A few weeks ago I was in exactly the same position and some of the people helping you in this forum helped me in mine. We have the Zero 88 Fat Frog Desk and 2 Martin MAC 250 Entours. I had loads of really helpful replies in my forum, I dont know if you have the same lights but I assume the process of assigning the fixtures, patching them and basic operation through the Fixture Control panel will remain the same.

You may want to look at this forum as I had over 40 replies: http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=24428

Hope this helps

Archived