How to weigh a piano

opman

Offhand, does anyone know the approx weight of a baby grand piano? I can make an informed guess given the number of people required to move it but wondered if anyone has ever obtained load figures for one?

Why not :g: ?

Hint: try "weight baby grand piano"!

Anything from 250Kg up - depending on size and model.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The reason behind the original question is that I have an architect asking me for minimum weight rating for a get-in lift.

I know that our Yamaha C6 used to be 400kg, plus another 40kg for the big nasty frame that it sat in. That was a smaller but full-sized grand (if you see what I mean).

If it's for a get-in lift, then also consider things like Genies and other access equipment. An IWP20s is about 750kg, a Genie Runabout is 980kg! Most goods lifts are good up to 1000+kg anyway, (I'm assuming it is a proper "building" lift that you're discussing.)

Also, if flightcases are going to come in that way, consider how many full cable trunks you can fit in there. Few companies will know the weight of each case, and it is quite easy to overload a lift with flightcases (just as it is easy to overload a van) because much of the kit in the industry is denser (ie more weight is less space) than that used to design such ratings / weight limits.

drive vehicle on to weighbridge, put said piano in said vehicle and weigh on said weighbridge.

I had to smile at this option!

Do YOU want to lift the piano into a wagon and off again just to check it's weight.....??

:g: :P :D

Archived