We Will Rock You

Stutwo

Only just spotted this post - doing WWRY in few weeks and I'm using a combination of these ideas.

Got a real laser for the few principle laser cages (Zoom Vayron X100RG - hence my other post asking for DMX spec!) including the large group laser cage (yet to see if the fly height will allow the width :S), but then the other issue you need to contend with is that a fixed effect is exactly that - fixed! Whilst you can vary the width of the cone you can't easily move the effect around the stage as it is a vertical cell and ideally needs to come from directly above. Make sure you explain this to your director EARLY so that they don't expect cages popping up all over the place!

As for the brainwashing section with the multiple cages I've got six Mac 250s doing those (again vertically downwards - lots of consulation with the director!) and switching them into strobe effects as each one gets 'fried'.

Anyone else doing WWRY who fancies discussing technical issues (or just weeping into an email as the show takes over your life!) feel free to PM!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a laser light

or a moving hed with a cut out paton

Nice to see you've read the rest of the replies here...

To name but a few;

A laser, some haze and an effect
Moving head laser on the grid pointing down
It was in fact a Mac 700 spot, we used the light with some fan gobo
it was a moving light with a smoke machine and fan

I'm not going to pretend to even be half as knowledgable as any of these sound and lighting genius' on here, but how about this idea (may have already been suggested, but havent seend it.)

How about making some kind of circular frame out of wood or steel. Then attach some semi powerful hand held green laser pointers around it? I have a 50mw laser pen and that would be perfect. I used to shine it on the massive mirror ball in my old club and it split into around 30 seperate beams and the strength of it was amazing. This could be a cheap alternative to buying or hiring other bigger more expensive lights.

These ones are 80mw and are around £15 each on ebay. May get them cheaper but just an idea. Sorry.

http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/43646/2005817847316615368_rs.jpg

Please let me know what you all think of the idea.

Steve

Here's a really imaginative but probably slightly OTT idea....

Extending on the idea of UV, you get some strings of LED's or christmas lights (preferably with a black wire). About 8 would be sufficient. You dip the light strings in invisible UV paint, so the lightbulbs or LED's remain reasonably light emitting.

Attach one end of each string of lights to some kind of circular support, so that they dangle down vertically. You then bundle them all up somehow, so that when the effect is wanted you release them, and they will come rolling down to dangle just touching the stage floor, surrounding the 'prisoner' . At the same time, turn on some UV cannons or flo tubes, and you have a spooky imprisoned effect.

And here is the nifty bit; you have the strings of LED's on controllable switchpacks, and when the 'prisoner' tries to put their hand through the beam, you quickly flash the appropriate LED string or strings (you could do a couple in sequence for a bigger effect) to give an 'electric shock' effect.

Now I think this is genious but hey.... :blink: yes I know reading it it's terrible confusing. Anyway.

Does anyone understand me? It's just an idea that popped into my head!

P.S if anyone understands but can explain it better for those who don't, please feel free!

• 6 months later...

Since this topic just came up in another thread - I just thought I would add my 2c.

If you have the width in your flys - maybe it would be worth considering side emitting fiber optics. Much like the hula-hoop idea, however instead of string, look at something along the 3mm side emitting fiber optic route - costs a couple of dollars a foot for plastic fibers (easy to work with), which you can then either build a light box for, or purchase one (often used for fiber star cloths). By using a colour wheel in the emitter, you can make some cool effects by slowly rotating the wheel, causing each fiber to change individually...

I believe that an approximation of the required effect could be obtained by useing a number of very narrow beam low voltage halogen spotlamps.

These are cheap, compact and available with a beam angle of 3 or 4 degrees.

Philips make a 6 volt 15 watt reflector lamp with a 4 degree beam angle, these lamps have an SBC cap.

A suitable number of SBC lampholders could be mounted in a ring, suspended as high as feasible.

Alternativly Osram make a 6 volt 35 watt 3 degree beam angle AR111 lamp with screw terminals.

To avoid sourcing not very common 6 volt transformers, the lamps could be used in series pairs on 12 volt halogen lighting transformers.

I doubt that the effect would be as good as useing lasers, but it would be cheap simple and safe, subject to the usual caveats regarding electricity.

How about using an Optikinetics K4 projector with a rotating gobo? I'm pretty sure a single gobo would do it, not sure if there is a specific one that has dots on it to recreate the laser effect but there must be one.... If not, rent a 35mm slide attachment and create a slide in a Gepe Mount and put it on a rotator.

Either fly straight down or use a mirror attachment.

If renting a K4 is too expensive, then rent a Solar 250 - cheap as chips but not as powerfull.

Alternativly Osram make a 6 volt 35 watt 3 degree beam angle AR111 lamp with screw terminals.

To avoid sourcing not very common 6 volt transformers, the lamps could be used in series pairs on 12 volt halogen lighting transformers.

Most pinspot fixtures take 6V 30W lamps so it could be possible to swap lamps.

It really won't look as sharp, but I would try pin spots rigged in a circle with a light green gel in them. Plenty of haze and it might look close. Thats the only way I can think of doing it with low power and with low funds!

If renting a K4 is too expensive, then rent a Solar 250

Be careful if rigging solars/K series pointing straight down. They come with a warning about not using them over 90deg from horizontal due to the gates not being lockable (and older ones have weak springs on the lenses). Given that you WILL have a turn under this effect at some point you need to make sure everything is adequately safety bonded.

Hi.

Last time I did We Will Rock You (I've done it 4 times with amateurs/schools), we used the laser cone gobo in 90deg source 4 with a gobo rotator. Its simple, and cheap. I reckon you could look to hire the whole lot for less than £50.

The first time we did it we used a Mac 550, but thats out of your budget dso I suggested the cheaper option!

Good luck with the production.

Nic

Is this from the touring production? If so, it was a moving light with a smoke machine and fan mounted in the grid pointing straight down to give that lovely beamage.

Which kind of weird effect are you talking about?

theres never been a touring version of Rock You

If you look at Davids profile, he is from New Zeland and there has been a tour over there, and there is a tour scheduled in the UK next year.

Archived