New to Casual Work

Ricky

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torch, AJ and leatherman is what I take when I'm casualing. To be honest I probably don't even need that, but if I have my tools on me it saves me a trek to the tool cupboard.

Ring your boss and ask him if he expects you to bring any tools.

In all my years of employing casual technicians the one item that nearly always gets forgotten about and I think is the most important is a pair of steel toe boots. Most theatres worth their salt will not allow you to work without this most basic item of PPE. The second would have to be a cheap AJ (adjustable spanner) (cheap as it will almost certainly get stolen/misplaced)

Torch, AJ and leatherman is what I take when I'm casualing. To be honest I probably don't even need that, but if I have my tools on me it saves me a trek to the tool cupboard.

Ring your boss and ask him

or her! B-)

Having worked at the hexagon as a freelancer coming in with shows, I know their roof is a harness area now. So as people are suggesting, some sort of PPE would be good, however they have harness's from what I recal. Tool wise, the usual... quad spanner, AJ, Leatherman... anything you think that could make your life easy really.

If they've taken you onto their casual list, and you're still a student - I suspect they won't be expecting you to have all the PPE kit - steelies might be a requirement, but in some places it isn't. If the casual work involves get-ins/outs as well as show work, then steelies are probably a good investment anyway, and that's when you're likely to hurt yourself anyway. A leatherman or multi-tool is always handy, but you may find an aj isn't that useful.

Best advice from me is to go in before the day and find out - phoning may work, but getting through to the right people is always difficult.

Cheap AJ's: 3 sizes for £5 at B&Q

get what you pay for mind but others are right re:loss \ theft. Also re it not being essential for lots of stuff. Lets be honest pushing flight cases mostly requires steels and muscles.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread:

earplugs!

I always have at least 2 pairs with me as long term exposure to high SPL's can do irreparable damage to your hearing.

I also agree with the AJ, leatherman and steelies

As a casual you are a temporary employee so the employer should provide tools and PPE for the work. Of course you may want to buy your own steelies etc but that is your own choice. You are just providing yourself (preferably in a fit state to do said work.)

As a casual I'm not re-quired to wear steelies on an everyday basis, the only time that I HAVE to wear them is during pit turns (don't know if this is typical or not, but our pit is filled in with double heavy steel deck), still I do own a pair and wear them pretty much any time I'm working, mainly because having a keyboard dropped on your foot is bloody painful.

As far as tools are concerned, I've never been expected to or asked to bring my own. If tools are required to do something then the theatre has anything that may be needed (usually a quad spanner).

Archived