New to Casual Work

Ricky

Sorry I know my spelling is not my strong point. Thanks for all the advice everyone has given me, I have done lighting before for about 5 years but that was in a team of 3 technicians 1 of them being me. But casual work I have been told is a hole new experience.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats the going daily rate for casual technicians?

Is it different at different venues? or after years of experience?, or for different skills?

hourly? overtime?, just wondering!

New technicians? Well, if you are lucky, the theatre might cover the cost of getting to the venue. To be honest, the starting rate for casuals in Australia is between 8 and 14 dollars an hour (between 3 and 6 pounds), no over time - overtime is something that is earned by part or full time employees, and in general not by casuals.

That is for a green and keen person (ie resume reads: "can push cases"). Experience and skills always makes you more valuable. It truly is minimum wage - but in saying that, there is are quite a few people willing to do that sort of work for so little, that it has devalued the industry.

Casual employment here is almost always done by the hour. Day rate is something usually charged by freelancers. It may seem much the same on the surface, but there is a vast difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived