Best way to insure 2 vehicles

itinerant baker

I'm looking into getting a transit sized van to run as well as my car, what's the best way to insure them both - 2 separate policies or a combined one.

Many insurers treat commercial vehicles separately from cars, and some won't insure them at all. I'd suggest looking for commercial vehicle insurers who know the market and will quote accordingly.

As Simon says commercial vehicles will often require a separate type of insurance. I'm with eVan insurance for my van which get me a far better deal than most others I tried. I also managed to transfer some NCD onto this policy this year as I no longer have my car, I figured that if I buy a car again it will be cheaper to have 0 years NCD on that than it will a large van. I get all the legal stuff, some breakdown cover included (though it is only basic and I have a separate policy anyway) and this key cover thing. £750 but its a 52 plate lwb sprinter, I'm 23, and its insured for any driver 21 and over.

SO, to conclude, separate policies is the way I'd go, and often the only way you can go.

Cheers both, will look into those companies.

Someone suggested something called a traders policy to me, though I'm not sure if this is just for the car trade. Anyone had any experience of these? (Part of what I do involves prep work on cars for sfx, so I suppose I could perhaps swing it with that!)

Also, you may well find that they won't actually insure you at all. I had to do some serious shopping around - lots of the internet cheap people only want tradesmen, and our area of work scares them off!

I also found that few car policies nowadays also let you drive other peoples vehicles, even 3rd party only. My van insurance allows me to drive it, but I have to be named on my wifes policy to drive her car.

• 2 weeks later...
The other thing to watch out for with commercial vehicle insurance is the specification for what you're carrying. If it's just your own property, being carried for the purposes of your own business then the insurance is much cheaper than if you are carrying 'for hire or reward' i.e. other people's goods. Don't be tempted to go for the cheaper option and then use your van to help a friend to move house, or transport anything for pay - if you have an accident, your insurance will be invalid, and insurance companies are very good at finding out the usage of the vehicle.

Something to remember is that this industry attracts some real "characters" probably under the influence of something at most times of day and night. It also attracts competent professionals. It's MUCH better to present yourself in a suit/ blue blazer at an insurance broker's office. If you say "musician" to the call centre they say NO incase you are a muso with a drink/drugs habit etc. If you are seen to be conventional by a broker other policies become available.

The other thing to watch out for with commercial vehicle insurance is the specification for what you're carrying. If it's just your own property, being carried for the purposes of your own business then the insurance is much cheaper than if you are carrying 'for hire or reward' i.e. other people's goods. Don't be tempted to go for the cheaper option and then use your van to help a friend to move house, or transport anything for pay - if you have an accident, your insurance will be invalid, and insurance companies are very good at finding out the usage of the vehicle.

And from what I can gather, delivering of dry hire gear is included here.

Eg, if you go out in your van with your PA and lights and do the job then it's ok, but if someone hires your gear as a dry hire (say Racks and Stacks) and Pays you to deliver and collect, then it's very different.

Archived