Coal fire smoke effects

Chiefy

if your chimney's any good, you won't see any smoke in the room, as it will all be going up the chimney. If you do have smoke in the room, it's because your chimney is blocked, and you need to call a sweep.

also, smoke from a coal fire, which is seen issueing from the chimney externally is not the same colour as the fog produced by a theatrical machine. So you wouldn't have a particularly authentic effect. For coal fire in corner of room, I'd just stick with the lighting effect, unless the script calls for belches of noxious fumes, in which case I don't suppose it matters if the smoke isn't that "authentic". for the right colour (but probably far too dense) you might use a lemaitre or similar smoke cartridge.

oh and if you are looking for small hazers - try the Look Solutions Unique Hazer - much smaller than a DF50, two channels of DMX to control density and fan speed, so you can get it to run reasonably quietly, and much much cheaper to buy than most other hazers I've come across. I got ours from White Light.

The clue to realistic smoke rising up a chimney is to simulate the natural draw of a chimney with one or more small fans and maybee some ducting to take the evil smoke away. Most disco smokers only smoke intermittently as they heat and cool.

Also use plenty of back light to accentuate the smoke

Archived