Coal fire smoke effects

Chiefy

I am looking for any advice for creating a smoking fire on stage that has to smoke away for one hour during the action of a play, my dilemma is trying to keep the smoke levels low enough for it not to be a distraction and also not to flood the stage in plumes of smoke. Noise levels are also a factor as it is a strait play.

Can anyone offer any experiences with this effect and recommend any gear and fluids to use to achieve the desired effect?

Thanks

You can get a mini fogger from White Light, which can be remote controlled.

As for lighting effects,a couple of birdies with split gels on a nice flicker chase will do well. Perhaps to disperse the smoke effect, you could add a small fan as well.

I haven't done this before so its just an idea;

Get props to make you a large fire place type box and then possition a smoke machine between some large chunks of coal. To make sure it does not stand out you could paint the smoke machine entirely black. If you went for a really cheap smoke machine (from the gadget shop/ maplins or something) it would not be to powerful. Also if the firplace stays onstage for the whole show then you just cut a whole in the back of you fire place and run a normal extension to it for power.

The only problem with using a cheap smoke amchine which is smaller and will blurt out less smoke on the lowest setting is that you wont beable to control it by DMX, so it you will have to plug it in before the show and turn it off manualy after.

For effect you could also put some small torches with a gel like Rosco 21 Golden Amber (havent got my lee colour book with me now)

Sam

http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/mediumimages/28668i0.jpg

This is a smoke machine from Maplins.

Edit; Peter Got there before me, never mind. Anyway Just one more thing you can by SMOKE SPRAY from maplins which is ment to linger in the air for 2 hours. Perhaps you could spray some of that round their at the beggining and the interval.

Anyway Just one more thing you can by SMOKE SPRAY from maplins which is ment to linger in the air for 2 hours.

Don't even go there. In my opinion this product is a complete waste of time for anything other than kids partys and the occasional mobile DJ who wants to make his scans stand out a bit more.

Anyway Just one more thing you can by SMOKE SPRAY from maplins which is ment to linger in the air for 2 hours.

Don't even go there. In my opinion this product is a complete waste of time for anything other than kids partys and the occasional mobile DJ who wants to make his scans stand out a bit more.

IKE- You are probably right though just a few quick sprays round the fire might just give it a bit more of a smoky feel. I wouldn't rely on it as the main way of creating the effect though

Thanks but I am looking for something a little more reliable as we are running for four weeks and prob going to tour the show after its initial run at home. As for the lighting effects I have all that in hand, but thanks again!

Just to add a bit more depth...Tiny Fogger from Look Solutions. Probably the smallest smoke machine you're going to find that will run for any length of time. 91 x 34 x 61 mm, and runs off a 12v battery. Capable of producing 150 puffs of smoke - you might need to look at having a couple of them to produce a reliable effect.

Tiny Fogger Manual

http://www.looksolutions.com/images/produkte/tinyfrei.gif

Hope this helps.

I have four of those little fellas and they are great, however they have no control over the volume of smoke produced and the output also looks like a smoke machine! (I am very picky!) I am really looking for a small haze machine thats not going to cost the earth and can be easily ducted into the fireplace

this sort of idea could be used,

http://www.funnfrolic.co.uk/catalog/images/smi/97388.jpg

not quite sure how it is done, im sure somone will tell you.

this way there wont be any couds of smoke and it could look quite good.

Having mused on this one over The Simple Life... (now there is two girls you wouldn't want working with you on a fitup :angry: )

How about having a DMX controlable smoke machine placed behind the set with a trunk pipe coming out of it into the fire place. The smoke which eventually comes out of the pipe won't be all that much due to natural wastage, and by using the controlable feature on the smoke machine, you can play with the output until it suits.

And if not enough smoke is making it's way down the pipe, install some PC case fans to help it along.

It's a while since I tried this party trick but I know if you have enough patience it can work. Of course it means having some space behind the set...

Anyway hope this helps. Let us know what eventually works for you!

Stu

If you are looking for the natural look of smoke coming off the fire and going up the chimney, you will neet to remember that a traditional chimney works because the hot air rising draws cool air from the room, pulling the smoke with it.

You will need some form of fan to extract the smoke. If you get the flow rate right, some of the smoke will spill out into the 'room' just as in a real fire.

If you temporarily obstruct the extractor fan slightly, more smoke will go into the 'room' as if the wind outside is causing the fire to 'smoke'.

Archived