Coming to America...

Bryson

Hello all:

As part of my new job, I'll be having to make the transfer to American voltage, connectors and lamps. Now, I know the obvious things (like what voltage it actually is, for example) but I wondered if anyone had a resource that would help me translate things like: lamp numbers (what's a 110v S4 lamp called, for example) any differences in terminology and what connectors and stuff they use the other side of the pond.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Ta

Bryson

(Imminently to depart from these shores..)

Self-moderation: Duh. Wrong Forum...moved now

Bryson,

After reading one of your other posts I assume this is somthing to do with the Princess Cruises thing. I was with Princess Cruises for over 5 years as a production manager and senior lampy, I took the Grand Princess out on its debut,

You will probably find that you have very little to do with the actual lamp side of things you normally don't even order your stock. The Production staff have very close ties with the comm's dept (The radio Engineers) They will become your best friends, they are the electronics engineers on board they will be the ones that fix all the problems you have with your moving lights scenary automation smoke machines etc etc, they are also the ones who can give you the cheap/freebie satelite phone calls that cost the passengers $15 per minute. So be nice to them.

Comms will also handle most of the ordering of consumables aswell as looking after the stock for you.

I think you said you were going on the Sun Princess. Unless it has been radically changed the Rig is VL 5's and Cyberlights along with Wybron Colour scrollers and HES Data Flashes. Control is a Hog II and an Expression 3.

If you want any more details then let me know and I am more than happy to share.

Have fun

Andy..

One of my DJ friends was playing a NYE party in London for some of the NY kids that do the London New year parade, He smoked one cig during the eve and was severely reprimanded by the chaperones for smoking in front of the kids. They can be quite puritanical at times!!

He smoked one cig during the eve and was severely reprimanded by the chaperones for smoking in front of the kids.

I don't really see the problem. Almost every childrens event I have worked on have been no smoking events and even when it's not it's not expected that performers/crew smoke in front of them unless of course its an integral part of the performance.

I remember seeing a bunch of highly excited school children come running in the middle of a mattine of Peter Pan. One of them was shouting "Mrs Jones Mrs Jones Look Peter Pan Smokes"

(He was spotted out the window having a quick fag in costume round the back)

James

Archived