Atmospheric lighting inside a giant dome.

YPlanetarium

I have a couple of thousand pounds to illuminate the inside of a 16m geodesic dome that we are using as a theatre. At present we have the work lights, a giant screen (6m x 4m) and we will be putting in two blocks of tiered seating. I was thinking we could put a couple of T stands with some lights on with gel in and shine them up the sides.

But I don't know how many lights I can put on a ring of standard sockets and what kind of lights are best. They would have to be dimable so that when the film is playing the lights don't interfere.

I am in Yorkshire and would welcome any thoughts.

Richard.

Yorkshire Planetarium.

Something LED springs to mind, low heat and power loading and capable of diffuse colour effects.

Specifically what depends on how much of the space you are actually lighting, with seating tiers and permanent(?) screen covering areas of the walls knocks down the area trying to cover, but does 16m diameter aso imply 16m to apex?

Ambient light level from exit and aisle lighting?

Install or temporary?

Control system available?

Few more details probably help.

How many lights you can load onto a ring main depends on what type of lights they are ...

What's the surface of the dome? Is it something fairly opaque that'll take light well? Or is it more transparent, which might make it more tricky?

Do you want them to function as houselights as well as 'prettying up' the inside of the structure? Or are they purely eye candy for the walls, with other equipment to handle the actual illumination of the space?

I also wonder about the surface to be illuminated? LED's are first thing that spring to mind here too, but only if you hire at that budget. No worries about power/heat or needing any other hardware (other than control desk) and any colours you want.

Try HSL in blackburn if you are looking to hire LED fixtures. They have an abundance of LED Product at great rates. Ask for Sean McGlone in Hire & tell him I recomended them and he should give you a good rate.

Archived