London New Year 2008

Tom_Robbo26

Hi BlueRoomers! Happy New Year!!

Was just watching through the new year celebrations in london this year, and noticed the powerful intelligent lights that were in the eye capsules and underneath the eye. Just wondering if anyone knew which make they decided to use this year. I know in the past they have used Martin Mac 2000's from Stage electrics which stage electrics usually brag about all over their website but there is no mention of it this year. So just wondering if any one knows where the lights came from and what make they are. And god damn it, I would love to be involved in the immense display. I love lighting! haha.

Thanks guys! :)

Hello and Happy New Year!

I know a bit about this job:

The lights in the pods are Mac 2000 Washes, there are 32 of them. They are all powered locally and controlled using a clever wi-fi system. They are supplied by Stage Electrics Bristol.

There are also loads of searchlights (a mixture of 10k and 4.5k) and about 100 VL5As to glam it all up a bit. The VLs and the 10ks are supplied by PRG and the 4.5ks are from Stage Electrics.

LXDad

Firework rigging (brackets, cables and stuff) on the eye began on the 28th Dec. The fireworks on the barges start rigging on the 26th Dec.

The French don't actually bring any fireworks onto site until about 6pm on the 31st.

The lights are loaded onto the eye as soon as the last ride has finished, so about 4pm.

LXDad

Hi

I have worked on this show for a few years and the fireworks are rigged over night on the eye from about 8pm from about the 28th dec, PRG europe supplied all the pontoon lighting this year, I think stage electrics still supplied to lights in the viewing pods tho could not tell you what make they where, we only deal with the power for the event.

Dave

Now if I'm being logical here and with my little firework experience, if you have even a 40m fall out from the eye pretty much as soon as you got off Waterloo you would be in a danger zone and as they were having "flights" on the 31st that's even more dangerous.

Have to say that compared to last year's pretty good display, from the TV coverage, I was under-impressed.

Seemed to be far too many fireworks producing too much smoke which obscured many of the smaller effects.

And I didn't really see much from the Mac 2K's other than an occasional 'set move' from the base of the wheel....

Maybe just the TV viewpoint, but stil....

Hi

There was a west to east wind last year which blowed alot of the smoke away to leave a beter view of the fire works.

There is a lot of work which goes into where the fall out zones will be up to certain wind speeds etc, im sure if the wind was to great the show would have to be limited.

Dave

dave22 is correct the amount of smoke this year was indeed caused by the lack of wind (a very rare thing on the Thames)

to Ynot: the coverage of the eye is really only shown on television for the 11mins of the firework display, in fact the show for lighting begins at 9:00pm along with sound for the benefit of the crowd. All lighting elements are worked quite hard up to the point of the 'bongs' and then are restricted to allow the french to work their explosive magic. The lighting disply continues until 00:45 again for the benefit of the crowd and also to help hold back the flow of people trying to leave the north and south banks all at 00:12.

to Tom_Robbo26: I was not offended - no reason to be. It was just a thought to help your career.

to the kid: believe me when I say the fall out zone is huge and waterloo is a considerably further walk from the immediate south bank than 40m. the wheel was indeed flying up to 3pm on the 31st, though there was no live pyro on sight at that point. The cabling and rigging is installed over preceding nights as earlier described. Pyro arrives on the barges from down river and so never gets near the public in transport or fitting.

The health and safety of this event is never underestimated and a fine team of folks from Jack Morton's work very hard to ensure that a million pounds worth of ordinance is fired in the safest and most exciting manner.

Hi SOLxD,

You seem to have an inside line on this event, please what were guys on the motor launches doing, they appeared to have some type of firing device on board, were they just firing their own fireworks or was the main event under wireless control.

I spend a lot of time in France and notice that the French have a penchant for firing fireworks from small boats on water, most towns on a river celebrate their saints days with fireworks on or near the water.

Archived