Data or Video projector?

loriloulabella

I am an art student working with light projection. As I can never seem to book out a projector when I need it from the university I am considering buying or renting one myself. But where do I start. What I want is a projector with high light visibility (lumens) as the subject is the light source itself and not so much the projected visuals (re Anthony Mcall). Would I need a data or video projector and what is the difference? Can anyone help me with this

In a nutshell, data projectors are designed for use with a PC or laptop with the only input being an SVGA normally. Video projectors are designed to handle a wider range of inputs and will usually include a variety of other input types including S-Video, Composite Video and Component Video. The unit will automatically scale the image to suit.

Steve

That said nearly every projector I have ever seen or used in the last few (read 7 ish) years has had both video and Data inputs.

The term is used pretty much interchangeably between units all the time.

In regard to the OP, what source are you using, but possibly more importantly what level of light, and screen size is in the room when your hoping to project. This will define what you need to have as a base brightness to make your machine seem 'Bright'. In a dark room, 2500 lumens may seem bright, but in a light room, 10,000 could seem dull and washed out....

Thanks for the response, this is great! Im planning on using as dark a space as possible and black out any light. room size is approx 9ftx9ft I think. I was planning on getting hold of a haze machine too to help illuminate the beam. Also I think I will be working with quicktime movie. at the moment im just experimenting with an overhead projector, blocking out most of the light with templates.

Haze will kill a projector. Unless either A) the projector is sealed against it (Think very expensive units such as Barco CLM R10+ Hire at £850/day ex VAT and Lens) or B) the projector is placed in a sealed unit (think Mitsubishi Warrior type units). Hire rate will depend on which machine and enclosure you can find.

Basically the haze gets pulled through the unit coating the optics and making the image horrible, especially with extended periods of use. Several days in a hazy atmosphere would be ok ish, but I'd not be too chuffed it it was one of our hire machines. At a rough stab, and until you could give more detail 3000- 5000 Lumens would give a 'very bright' image. 2000-3000 would give a 'Nice bright' image. All assumes the hire machine is new with new lamp...

The other option, if you don't need super-bright, industrial build quality would be to buy a super-cheap, no-name projector and throw it away at the end of the "event". I believe the optics on DLPs are probably better suited to a smoky environment, but am open to being told I'm wrong. I've been told that the reason ours don't have filters is that the optical path is sealed.

1500 lumen Viewsonic for £250 inc VAT

I think I'll have to forget the haze machine then. ok this is my aim... to project a small white disc or ring onto a black wall in an enclosed room, blocking out all ambient light the disc/ring increases in size so that the beam which I want to be visible increases. this is intended as an interactive installation, the viewer can move through the beam and be aware of it. As the beam is the principle focus I want it to be contained, not just a bright light spilling into the room.

I'm assuming this is an art installation. If the beam is the primary focus, then you will need some form of haze, so how about putting the projector in a "projection room" separated from the main room by a small piece of glass over a hole in the wall - a "porthole" as we call it in the cinema industry.

If it's pitch black in there, a cheaper projector will be ok. The thing to watch out for is the contrast that the projector is capable of. Black will show up as a dark grey - how dark depends on how good the projector is. In this case, a dimmer projector is probably be your friend, as the grey will be darker.

In short,

• Do use haze, but separate the projector.
  • Concentrate on contrast rather than brightness when selecting the projector.

On a rather grander scale, some of the older Jean Michelle-Jarre concerts used projection in this way - with the "beam" more important than the image. Some interesting stuff with spiders building webs as I recall. Anyway, might be worth trawling Youtube for some research.

I have made two short quicktime movies. one is a white disc which increases in size then decreases, on a very black background over a 4 minute period. the other is the same but with a white ring instead of disc.Ive looked at the lamp and gobos, but at the moment im still experimenting and therefore dont really want to invest in equipment, as there is no installation period as such (maybe worth investigating for the degree show). I was only thinking about buying a projector as I cant book them out overnight from uni. There is a Film and Media programme where I may be able to loan from though.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Its giving me options and references for sourcing I wouldn't have found otherwise.This might give a better indication of what I'm after, on a much grander scale of course, but the concept.

Anthony mcall exhibition http://www.serpentinegallery.org/2007/04/a...er_2007_ja.html

Archived