Moving heads v. Generics

James Remo

I can't believe we've spent so much time all saying the same thing! <_<

What we're saying is that everyone should use the most appropriate kit for their circumstances. No-one should think they'll never need a profile spot again or that moving heads are the work of the devil. As an example, moving mirrors are used very little indeed in theatre, but used quite often in other branches of the lighting industry. No-one in theatre would say that moving mirrors don't have their place, but I know that the shows I've got lined up for next year will be unlikely to need them.

I do like the idea, as mentioned above, of turning this thread into a reference thread to be used to steer new members towards next time this debate surfaces. We should start to draw opinions together, to look at when moving heads are good (looking in more detail, perhaps, at the fact that moving washes and moving spots are hugely different) and when generics are good (whether it be the Source Four profile which is held up as the latest "industry standard" generic lantern, or the P123 at the other end of the spectrum). There's a place for everything - this thread is making that point very well indeed, it seems to me.

If I had the money, some tungsten moving heads would be top of my list for my church, to use as refocussable specials. But of course, being tungsten, they blend with the rest of the fresnels etc that we have in our rig.

I think that tungsten based movers (Martin TW-1, for example) will go a long way to bringing moving technology to the point where it can blend seamlessly with "real" theatre

(For example, it just looks naff to have a "discharge white" lamp providing the DSC special for the lead character. But when that special is provided by a lamp that can change position between cues, plus has CMY mixing and a proper dimming curve... endless possibilities!

I think that tungsten based movers (Martin TW-1, for example) will go a long way to bringing moving technology to the point where it can blend seamlessly with "real" theatre

Vari*lite have been doing this for years with their VL5's ( Now superceded by the VL 500,) and as far as profiles go you have the VL 1000TS

Andy

Archived