Cruise Ship job pay scales

meyerm3d

Hi guys

I know there have been other posts regarding cruise ship work but this one is slightly different question that hasn't been answered before on here.

So.....

I was just wondering what the pay scales were like for Audio Technicians and assistant production managers on board Princess Cruises, Cunard and P&O. Just wanted to know what to expect as many of the adverts in the stage or other websites don't advertise salary's. And are the salary's tax free or not ?

Also would anyone know any general information on what these jobs are like especially princess cruises ie what to expect, living conditions aboard ship, hours, rules and regs etc

Any info would be mostly appreciated.

The scale varies wildly - it depends on whether/which agency you came to the company thru, how desparate they are for somone with your skills etc.

As for tax - it all depends which one you work for; if you're on a P&O / Cunard ship then you'll need an accountant to do some juggling around to get yourself tax-free (you'd be a brit, working for a british company so the IR will try to argue you're uk employed) whereas if you're on a Princess ship (even if it's sailing out of a uk port) you'd be paid without deductions by the cruise line and provided you don't spend more than 90 days in the uk it would be tax free...... unless you're employed by a Uk agent/sub-contractor.... or you're self employed... and then you've got the added complexity of what currancy your wages are in - Brit's who're paid in US$ have effectively had a 50% pay cut over the last 10 years because of the collapse of the dollar.

...this can get very complicated but surfice to say the money on CRUISE ships is always better than the money you'd get for the same work on land and you'll end up with a better tan.

The tax office will also be able to help free of charge. As we still have a significant number of seafarers in this country, they have specific departments set up to deal with tax issues for those who work at sea, but as Jivemaster says, find out from someone who knows.

I wanted to leave the ships after one contract, but had to go back after learning that I hadn't been working out of the country long enough for my earnings to be tax free. (I was glad I went back in the end <_< )

P&O Cruises pay deputy production managers around £65 a day, and production managers around £75 a day.

Salary will be taxed at source PAYE, and you can them reclaim it at the end of each tax year ... keep your discharge certificates/discharge book as proof, and as long as you are out of the country enough, then you will have no problem getting your money back. P&O's employment company are not based in UK, and although the IR won the fight in getting crew to pay NI, you are still entitled to working abroad tax exemption.

Not being familiar with the system, why are rates paid daily, rather than weekly? Does this mean that you don't get paid when the ship's in port? I presume food and accomodation are also included - because having to spend money on that will eat away at what isn't a great deal in the first place. I had the idea in my head that due to the unpleasant and restrictive working conditions, the pay was better than that. Mind you a friend of mine was just offered a cruise job as an ice skater at 45 euros a day - which makes the pay mentioned here look pretty good?

You are paid monthly into your bank account, and this is worked out on ther previously mentioned daily rate.

You are paid for everyday you are on contract - from the day you join the ship to the day you leave the ship for that contract (inclusive)

You are not paid while you are not on ship, and are given a P45, so are effectively unemployed, and able to get JSA

Accommodation, and food are free, along with laundry, and as many cups of tea/coffee as you want! ... alcohol you have to pay for, but is cheap for crew, your main expenses are liekly to be phone, internet, and meals out when you get sick of the ship's menu.

Unless you have next to no financial responsibilities I.e no car, flat, credit card bills, ship's are not a good way to earn and save up money. When your contract ends until the start of your next contract you are effectively unemployed and will be spending your savings when your back home just living for the 8 or so weeks you may have off unless you have somewhere to stay very cheaply.

And also remember boredom leads to buying gadgets!

Princess used to pay monthly, in cash. (100 dollar bills...)

Keeping a flat or car at home is a mistake - it just eats up all your money. Without at-home expenses, the money is actually quite good - it means you have 100% disposable income. I spent most of my money on meals ashore in ports - anything to escape the ship food, which, although good, is always the same...

Archived