Cans / Wireless Communication

Hi, hope somebody can help.

I look after the sound and lighting for productions at the school I work at, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what we could use for some wireless communication equipment. It would be good for me to concentrate on the sound and possibly get a pupil to do the lighting but I'd be keen to talk him through it via the equipment. Even be good to have contact backstage so maybe 3 or 4 headsets with mics would be good.

Any Ideas?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In the situation you're describing a "proper" theatre designed talkback / wireless system is a waste of time.

Get down to somewhere like Maplins and look at the cheep walkie-talkies (the tiny ones that come in lurid colours and cost about £20 for 2), make sure you get one with a charger supplied otherwise you'll spend you like buying batteries, speak to the staff to find one that has a headset socket (not just a headphone socket) and they'll also sell you an appropriate headset with earpiece and microphone that plugs in and gives you a suprisingly useable theatre com's system for about £15 / person.

t

In the situation you're describing a "proper" theatre designed talkback / wireless system is a waste of time.

Get down to somewhere like Maplins and look at the cheep walkie-talkies

Hmmm...

I am going to disagree with Tom, and suggest that walkie talkies are NOT realistically the best way to go, despite the fact that they can be bought for comparitively little cash.

My reasons are simple:

Walkies are SIMPLEX only - ie only ONE person can talk at any given time, and if two try to speak at once, then neither hears the other.

Walkies, as a whole, need manual operation to key the transmit, unless set to VOX-OP, and unless you have a VERY sensitive VOX setting, you need to speak quite loudly to get it to key on - NOT something desireable in a show type situation. And if you HAVE it set to a sensitive level of pickup, then you can often find it keying on when you DON'T want it to! And desk ops in particular most likely need to keep both hands free when working.

The old adage of getting what you pay for also applies - buy cheap & cheerful, risk damage/malfunction through use/abuse.

Walkies also have a habit of doing just that - walking! Whether by intent, as in theft, or in error, when left in someone's pocket or on a belt at the end of the night, they don't always come back. And I suspect in a school situation that may be more likely! :S

Best bet - don't look at wireless headset systems (MEGA-bucks!!) but DO look at the wired systems - but keep them independent of the main audio kit, as therein lieth a whole other set of problems!

Canford/Techpro are the main work-horse of theatre talkback. There are others, both cheaper and dearer, some of which are compatible. But taking something with a reputation as a standard will see you well.

Watch out on Ebay - there have been a few bargains had recently for comms kit!

My reasons are simple:

Walkies are SIMPLEX only - ie only ONE person can talk at any given time, and if two try to speak at once, then neither hears the other.

Walkies, as a whole, need manual operation to key the transmit, unless set to VOX-OP, and unless you have a VERY sensitive VOX setting, you need to speak quite loudly to get it to key on - NOT something desireable in a show type situation. And if you HAVE it set to a sensitive level of pickup, then you can often find it keying on when you DON'T want it to! And desk ops in particular most likely need to keep both hands free when working.

Yup, I'll second that. If you've got a small number of people who are used to working with radios, and a light amount of radio traffic, then it can work. If you've got a fair bit of to-and-fro traffic whilst trying to do other things, radios quickly get awkward.

Depending on how often you're going to need it, it might prove cost effective for you to hire cans. Conversation flows fairly naturally, even with people who aren't used to the system.

Is there a need for you to go wireless? I'm thinking cabling issues or people constantly on the move?

If not, wired systems are by far the best option!

As has been said above, they encourage free conversation, indeed probably far more free than if you were stood next to the person at the other end! They also require no thought once the mic is switched on permenantly. If it's you and the LX on cans they can have 2 way comms with you and then with the right base station, nobody else has to hear all your technical talk but you can talk to them when you need things doing. By far the most useful method of getting the thing to work.

Where in the world are you? Hire places are 10 to the dozen and you never know, some blue roomer may be right next door and have a set you can borrow/swap for Beer Tokens (small amount of cash).

Archived