New Desk Required

MartinT

How much does a hog 3 cost and where are the list prices from flying pig systems on their website?

In a way, with the Hog3 it's a case of "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"! I'm not aware of a 'price list' as such for FPS products - but if you phone them up (or one of their dealers) you'll be able to get a price for the product(s) you're interested in. Alternatively, there are one or two inhabitants of the Pig-sty lurking about on this site, I believe, so perhaps one of them would be so kind as to post the information you require ...?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to through in my recomendation for Compulite SparkTop 4D if your moving around a bit with it or a Spark4D if its sitting and moving from time to time. Lovely desks (make sure you get the hard drive with it, saves so much time)

Loads of great features, happy to run loads of moving lights, as Andy said the Vector is currently running TOTP, Fame Academy was ran off 2 Spark4D's and many moving lights shows utilise Compulite Desks.

Hog II is another nice option although finding a desk in really nice condition for 10K could prove to be very interesting, they are very rare at the moment, there are some that are within that price bracket but usually have had a hard life!

I would have to say for me it would have to be the pearl. its the only desk that ive used that you can easily manage to keep yourself on top of, with out getting to the "huh??" stage... and also can be used for ne thing from 20- 200 luminaries and beyond!!!

How much does a hog 3 cost and where are the list prices from flying pig systems on their website?

Virtually nobody in this industry pays the 'list price' anyway

Funnily enough I had just such a conversation with someone about that today, what is the point of a list price of no-one pays it??

Andy

Stagetec

Funnily enough I had just such a conversation with someone about that today, what is the point of a list price of no-one pays it??

In the days pre-EU and internet, distributors used to insist on the manufacturer producing a list price and on them making sure that all distributors sold at that price or to a known structure discount structure.

With trade opening up in Europe and with on-line purchasing, it's now a lot more difficult to operate in such a manner although some distributors still whinge if you don't produce a list price.

My day-to-day business is partly in the broadcast industry and I have just convinced one of my principals to drop the whole pretence of list prices. We now have just two price lists, the price a distributor will pay (no matter where in the world they are) and the price a reseller will pay (again no matter where they are). We make no suggestion as to what they do after we sell to them and since they all pay the same price it's down to them to run their business the best way. I'm a great believer that the market will sort it out.

The last pricing I heard as to UK street price was £19-23k - if your spending that kind of dosh then make sure you have a good dealer who'll give you the best backup.

regards

tim

The company I work for has just converted to HogPC with some Widgets, and wings to arrive later on. you can build a very comprehensive system for under £10k, and the FX Generator is one of the best I've used. I would give it a firm recommendation (very portable too, you can get a whole system in one of the big Addict record bags if you aren't using additional monitors)

HOLD OUT FOR THE CHAMSYS PRODUCT..................

The thing is, the HogPC has a pedigree going back through the Hog2, right to the original Hog in the mid-90's. There's also a HUGE user base of Hog2 programmers, and an enormous number of Hog2/Hog1000/Hog500 consoles out there in the real world. How can Chamsys compete with this sort of background/pedigree?

(I'm not trying to stir things up, honestly - I'm just curious what the background to the product is ...)

(P.S. - there's no need to shout ...)

Sounds like you need a second-hand HogII. It's so much more than just a rock and roll desk - it's quite at home doing r'n'r, but it's equally happy doing other things - especially theatre.

You can have as many cue lists as you like, and each one is programmed and plays back in the same manner as a Strand-style cue stack. The programming syntax is very much like the Strand Lightpalette syntax (anyone who's used to programming a 500-series will be at home with it within a few minutes). Excellent in-built Effects Engine (which is, I'm told, a name which was trademarked by Flying Pig Systems when they first developed it on the Hog), with the ability to easily create your own effects alongside the provided ones. It's about as portable as you can expect a desk of that nature to be - I can fit mine into the boot of my car, along with two flightcased monitors, a toolbox and a small suitcase, without even folding the back seats down. It has 4 DMX outputs, expandable to 7 with Overdrive boxes. It has two in-built LCD touchscreens, which are more than adequate for programming/running smaller shows, with the option to add two external VGA monitors if more display area is required. And if you shop around, you can probably find an older ex-rental one (which might not quite be in tip-top cosmetic condition, but which will do the job) within your £10K budget (although that'll probably be ex. VAT).

Edit - should also have mentioned - there's also the Hog500 and Hog1000. Same operational syntax, etc., but less features - fewer DMX outputs (2 rather than 4), only one in-built LCD (which isn't a touchscreen), you can't create custom Effects Engine effects on the console (although you can using HogPC, then just load the show into the desk). But of course this reduced functionality saves you some dosh!

Absoulutley! Great Desk . . and compact which is what I gather your looking for.

Absoulutley! Great Desk . . and compact which is what I gather your looking for.

Well, yes, the Hog2 is certainly a fairly compact package, as far as high-end lighting desks go. But based on information which came to light in this thread a few days ago - namely, that the OP requires a desk which can be carried easily up two ladders to access the control room - I think perhaps even a Hog might be a bit too heavy.

Based on this startling new revelation(!) perhaps a SparkTop could be the way forward - a console and LCD monitor in one convenient package that can be folded up and carried away with one hand.

Archived