april 2008 new sound regs

safetyman

Having just kicked into the main season at my venue our Entertainments Manager has enforced the 85db limit onto all shows we put on. So far cast are complaining they can't hear themselves when the backing band is louder then their vocal monitors, also the mix is inaudible FOH. We are currently looking at the regulations and finding no reference to audiences, almost as if they have thrown the clause involving live music in as an afterthought on top of the factory based regulations. As the venue is only open for roughly 4 hours an evening is there anyway we can increase our levels besides investing in a new PA with a higher SPL to db rating?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following is simplified somewhat, but it's a start. ;)

Having just kicked into the main season at my venue our Entertainments Manager has enforced the 85db limit onto all shows we put on.

"85dB" is the average over an 8 hour working day, not a maximum.

So far cast are complaining they can't hear themselves when the backing band is louder then their vocal monitors

If the monitors need to come down in level so do the band!

We are currently looking at the regulations and finding no reference to audiences

There is none - they are not at work.

As the venue is only open for roughly 4 hours an evening is there anyway we can increase our levels

Well, if you half the time you can double the volume. Half the time again for show which is only happening for two hours & you get 4 times the volume.

besides investing in a new PA with a higher SPL to db rating?
Don't really know what you mean by this

The new regs are really not that bad, you (or your boss) just need to take the time to understand what they mean & include them in your RA. As with all things these days, have the paperwork to back up what you are doing.

Myself and the rest of the techs know its an 8hour average. We have tried explaining the situation to the manager but he insists on 85db.

We are using a drum screen and facing amps backward to try and reduce stage volume.

What I meant by the PA point was that a new system could give a higher SPL with a lower db level as such. At the moment we have C4 tops, 6-aside and F1 bins, 4-aside in a 1500 capacity venue. But with the audience pushing the readings over 85 we are having to run the system low.

The only way you can really do this is to utilize the Delays you have in the venue (if they still work).

There really isn't a system that is going to give you much more flexibility in there, The C4 (or Ch4 as they are) are a very directional box, I guess they could be arrayed differently, but I can't see it helping much.

A line array wouldn't really be wide enough and the venue isn't deep enough to really get the use.

Without wandering OT, are they going to look after that one? or will it last a mere 5 years before its completely trashed like the last one? (12 ARCS and 8 S218's)

It is all about the even coverage, pushing boxes too hard will result in loud readings in certain areas, this is something you can't have. I think a better solution than to turn it up as its not over an 8 hour period is needed. During the "themed" weekends, the venue is open in the afternoon aswell, so this all needs to be taken into account.

Hopefully they will last, XTA's with high protection on them, or so we've been told.

Back OnTopic, there is a Guardian fire system that has a built in limiter that is currently bypassed. This was originally set to 85db but taken out after management said it was too quiet and now will not let us put it back in.

With a themed weekend (MCN) this weekend it will be interesting to see how the audiences respond and whether or not we can find an agreeable compromise anywhere

Archived