Alternative to a muddy stage...

It might be worth thinking about a policy of "engagement".

Assure your line manager that you think Pina Bausch is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

(It's worth considering that there are worse role models than Pina Bausch...making stages muddy is probably less bad than being the military ruler of Pakistan or, possibly, being in U2.)

Having done this, ask the question :" So, does it really need to be soil.....?"

She will then reply something along the lines of:"Well it's the very visceral element of the soil that I'm trying to show...."

You: "Yes, indeed...but given the nature of Bausch's work is it not the representation of soil that is the important thing?"

This discussion might take a little while, but you should be able to persuade said LM that you go to bed dreaming of nothing other than Ms. Bausch and how to create the perfect homage to her. More importantly, you should also be able to persuade her to use something else- how about trying to persuade her that the students could make their own representations of soil using screwed up bits of paper, brown paint and PVA......?

Getting the students to "demake" the piece is a great idea. (You and I would call this the "get out", but performance artists seem to "make" and "de/unmake".....these too are useful phrases.)

Tanz und Technologie might be a useful volume to been seen thumbing through next time your LM pops in for a chat.

Good luck

KC

Having seen this done on a stage at the Edinburgh Fringe with a 30 minute turnaround, I can happily say it's possible and to all the nay-saying people out there, it's not *that* bad.

As suggested, the sensible way to do it is "trays" that the soil can be laid on. Don't let it get too dry, or it'll get spread everywhere. Make sure the cast change footware as soon as they're in the wings - or lay a false floor down to the dressing rooms.

As long as you put a bit of thought in to it, it's not that bad and not that difficult. The effect it has, especially the smell of real dirt, is also really effective with an audience (the same is true of turfing a stage, or using lots of live plants).

Having seen this done on a stage at the Edinburgh Fringe with a 30 minute turnaround, I can happily say it's possible and to all the nay-saying people out there, it's not *that* bad.

Hmm...

Edinburgh festival...?

What size of stage would that have been? And was it a 'real theatre venue, or one of those that is made so just for the duration of the EF?

If twas jst a very small venue, then ok, yes, it would be 'easier' but likely still presented some problems.

The National's War Horse 'does' mud with brown camouflage-style netting (in their case it is attached to the 'blades' of a plough and pushed around the stage, giving the impression of dug up soil) looks very effective, not sure whether it would be quite as practical (or safe) covering an entire stage but it's an idea!

I would definately use the poly sheet approach to line the stage or area? as for the mud I used to work with a female mud wrestling tour ( oh happy days http://www.blue-room.org.uk/style_images/3/folder_post_icons/icon10.gif) and we used fullers earth, cant recall where we got it in bulk but its also used for cat litter! it mixes up quite easily to te requiered cosistancy and when it dries out it forms lumps rather than dust and is easily cleaned up.

Archived