Alternative to a muddy stage...

We have a student production arriving in a few weeks that has asked to put compost/soil all over the stage (it's a Pina Baush inspired work).

We're currently attempting to create a time machine to allow us to go back and eliminate Bausch while still a child (thus saving many a stage from many a mess for many a year) though are so far meeting with little success.

Can anyone suggested a clean(er) alternative (to the mud or the assassination plot)? Bark, as we learned from a visit by Walker Dance, involves a lot of dust. I noticed that Flints sell "rubber chips" which might do the trick... anyone used them?

Suggestions gratefully received.

Gareth.

not shore really but mayby brown astro turth

either that or a 1" lip screwed al round the stage with a pond linning to creat some kind of container

will make it easer to clean up but still not easy

as for time machine I dont have a clue sorry mate.

let us know what you come up with

Don't have any real advice other than whatever you do, make sure that EVERY penny of any costs involved is accounted for and passed on as a charge to the visiting company! This sounds rather expensive, and could well negate a lot of any hire fees being paid...

I'd say... why not use soil? It'd probably be the cheapest option, and would get exactly the effect desired (hopefully, anyway). I worked on a production which had chalk chips on the floor, we had a lip, as described by blackrose, and it all stayed pretty much where it was meant to. There was also a hardboard skin on top of the existing floor, so literally all that was needed was to get the chalk out of the "container" and then throw away the lip and the hardboard.

Make sure that you test out whatever option it is you decide to go for way before the show goes up, so you can identify any problems early on and, of course, to make sure that the visiting company is happy with how it looks.

Also, make sure that its not too wet - otherwise you'll have a very damp stage for quite a while, which may raise issues of permanant damp damage to the floor, in which case a hardboard skin may be essential.

Have a look at fine vermiculite, you shouldn't be looking to pay more than about a tenner for 100kg, it's a lot easier to clean up than soil and won't have the same risks of bacteria etc. It doesn't however look exactly like soil and can still be dusty.

I'd say... why not use soil?

Hmmm...

To make it look like it's actually soil, it will need to have a fair depth on the stage. And soil is NOT a lightweight option!!

And bear in mind that someone is going to have to shovel it all out and dispose of it afterwards...!

Done the sandpit on stage thing, it is always messy and you will not want whatever you use directly on the stage floor (All these materials tend to hold water), shredded rubber is possible but watch the fire implications as the stuff burns like old tyres. If the stage has the structural integrity for it then actually laying turf upside down on visqueen might work and would be much easier to lift then earth (It rolls up).

Just a thought.

I second the comment about accounting for all costs, it discourages the silly buggers from doing it to others.

Can I borrow that time machine when you are done with it, I have a little list (LOTS of "Live art" companies, quite a few producers and a few politicians).

Regards, Dan.

Simple solution.

The answer is NO! unless: They provide a clean and safe solution and pay premium for the cleaning fee of any mess created, and for damages that occur to any equipment.

If their hire includes use of laundry facilities, make it clear that they must clean filters etc after each run, etc.

If you are interested in what "premium" is for cleaning fees: The use of 'flutter fetti' air cannons in my venue will attract an AU$1,000 'additional cleaning' fee. Considering the cleanup done - 2 people, half an hour to sweep the floor, it is certainly a premium - Especially as they don't actually get anyone to clean the coffers in the ceiling, where a large percentage of the confetti rests. (Not bitter much :) )

My opinion is that as a venue technician, you are charged with ensuring the venue is kept well maintained, and if that involves telling a production that no, they cannot do something, then that is what you have to do.

As a former venue technical manager, I'm with Mac on this.

The answer has to be no.

Not only will everyone bugger off after the out leaving you and your crew to do the cleaning but over the period of the run all that soil will turn to dust, get kicked up by all those dancers and will hang about in every nook and cranny of your venue for months to come.

I have some experience of this and it was shows like this that caused me to take a career break and go to work in the corporate sector.

Just when you think the memory of such shows has faded, you will be cleaning something a few months from now and find it caked in the residue of the soil. not fun.

be strong

ste

Thanks for all the responses. I perhaps didn't explain quite how bad the situation is: The "company" is a student group linked to the university so they're not paying for the space at all (can't add a premium clean up charge). Also (being students) they don't have any money full stop - so they're not likely to ever pay up in the event of disaster.

Did I mention that the performance in question is a one nighter - and part of a double bill (the other group don't want mud...)

My first and foremost response was as suggested ("NO! NO! AND NO!") Unfortunately my line manager, a Lecturer in Dance as it happens(!), is a Bausch fan and is insistant that the work be "facilitated" (hence my search for alternative 'mess'). Our old stage floor was damaged to the tune of £3.5k the last time someone thought mud made good scenery - sadly no one outside of the technical department seems to remember... To make things worse, our new stage features an MDF sacrificial layer that the builders didn't bother to seal before painting, so by my estimation even more vulnerable.

Discussions continue. One assurance that I'm waiting for in writing is that the students will FAIL the unit if the stage isn't how they found it afterwards. Seems to me that failiure is therefore pretty much certain - so why bother with the show!?

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Guest lightnix

It can and has been done :** laughs out loud **:

Lay down some thick poly sheeting over the stage and allow a good 1m margin around the edge (this can be rolled up and covered for the performance to hide it. Lay smaller sheets of poly on top, with about 0.5m overlap and lay your "soil" on top of that.

When it's time to clear the stage, sweep / shovel the "soil" into the middle of each small piece; gather up the corners, bundle it up with gaffa and drag it off in sections. Then fold up the large piece to collect any stray mess. With care and rehearsal, this should take care of most of it; although a supply of doormats, shoe scrapers and extra brooms might also help :huh:

And yes - watch the weight :rolleyes:

Out in the regions recently, a production of Midsummer Nights Dream using soil and water to make mud.

One 40' Mathew's trailer stained red internally

I dread to think of the ML bill (I think it was a StageLX gig)

The theatre I was working at still has a fine film of red dust throughout, and had to re-paint the stage after the out in time for the next day's show.

6 tonnes or so of soil, contained in a purpose made sandbox.

Still got everywhere, some of it still is everywhere.

Think very carefully about agreeing to do this then re-setting to something else.

Make them the last part of the double header, giving them all the time they need to clear up, and photograph before/after.

If there is no money just throttle them, it's easier....!

Plastic, tray shapes (6" deep lips...) and planning.

Get new brushes for after the event.

Hire in Industrial wet/dry hoovers so you can mop and vacuum the floor.

Give an estimated cost of replacing the mdf and sealing/painting, so the tutor, and those in charge of the tutor know how much this will cost.

Promenade Theatre, move the event outside, even for the second half?

Going to find out how fun it is soon, new arena, new job, opens 12 Jan, supercross building a dirt track 24 Jan!!

Archived