BECTU vs EQUITY

gherriott

I am at the stage where I am wanting to join a union, to not only cover my own back in terms of PLI, but also just to have a body behind me if I ever need it. My question is: Which one is better for me? I am currently a uni student studying technical theatre, yet I do a lot of freelance stuff outside of uni. My main area is LX and sound comes in a close second. Are Equity as good as they say they are? Or are they still more for Stage Managers? Is there anything that BECTU offers that Equity doesn't?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greg

As Andy says - Equity are more aimed towards Stage Management and Actors - though depending on the sort of work you do when you leave university you may still find you self employed on an Equity contract. If you find this happening a lot (say you end up doing a lot of small scale touring as a technical SM) you might want to consider joining Equity.

However, as you express an interest in PLI, then BECTU is the way to go as I don't believe Equity offer this (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

You have to pay extra for the BECTU PLI but it still works out more cost effective.

Joining a union will not necessarily protect you from bad working practices but it should give you more support should you need to take on an employer. And while you may not benefit directly from a collective agreement, the continual pressure from unions to improve both wages and working conditions for the people they do negotiate for will have a trickle down effect for the rest of us. Well worth supporting.

T

Equity do offer PLI. WE recently had a representative come and speak about it, and I could join for something like £10 as a student, which doesnt include the PLI, but then after I gain my degree I can then join as a full member which is something like £150 a year there after, which does include PLI. The reason I am not sure what to do is that he claims that equity is now better for freelance designers than BECTU !?

Joining a Union will give you someone to call if you need advice on employment type issues and maybe a legal helpline. The BECTU PLI is worth while and you may find it easier to buy into that than find a broker and policy of your own.

Which union you join depends on where you want to be in the future Bectu for tech trades, Equity for performance people.

I am not sure what to do is that he claims that equity is now better for freelance designers than BECTU !?

I'm sorry, but if you think you're going to walk out of Uni and straight into a professional design role then I think you're slightly deluded...

I was not suggesting that I would walk into that role...but I am allowed to aim for it, and so would rather choose wisely now, than find IF I do end up as a designer, I have not made the best decision.

EDIT: spelling error

Choosing a union is not an irreversable descision...

As mentioed above, BECTU is really the most appropriate union for most roles, excluding stage management. Considering the *massively* differing rates of pay encountered between Stage Management under Equity, and other technical staff under BECTU (at least in some houses), I would never entertain the thought of going near Equity..

Personally I don't see a problem with remaining in BECTU, and simply referring to ALD rates when acting in a design capacity; here

How did Equity claim to be "better" for designers?

It's interesting to compare the TMA/BECTU/EQUITY/MU rates. Some really strange things in there - The subsistence payments are my pet dislike - the cost of accomodation and food is the same for every person working on a project, but the subsistence rates vary by nearly double!! I gave up worrying about the disparity between actors, singers, dancers, technicians and musicians - but subsistence?

Archived