Safety Passports

leofric

Hello all,

I'm looking to obtain a safety passport as one of my clients is asking all there freelancers to obtain one.

I've googled, tried the PSA website, Abtt etc where there are lots of people who will run courses for venues, companies etc but little information about courses that individuals can attend.

So can anyone point me in the right direction?

Does anyone know somewhere holding a course which would be happy to accommodate an outside candidate in return for an appropriate fee of course?

A quick plea, I'm not looking for a discussion of the worth of such schemes, if you feel the need to air your views on this please start another thread and I'll join in there.

Cheers

Leo

I hate to sound really obvious, but could you not ask the client which "passport" they would like you to have?

There are a few difference schemes around from what I'm aware, but there is no standard document/card that says you can do everything (which I doubt would be in existance anyway as there's so many different areas it could cover!). And also, that way you get the one that they recognise and are happy with. But depending how many times you work for that client, it may not be worth it unless you work for that client a lot or you work for other clients who also recognise that card.

Sorry that doesn't really answer your questions! :g:

Peter

I know that you have tried the PSA's website, but it may be worth picking up the phone and asking them as one of my customers, a freelancer, went on one of their arranged courses. Sometimes face to face (or over the phone) is easier than trawling a website or emailing people.

edit- clarity

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

I'm looking to obtain a safety passport as one of my clients is asking all there freelancers to obtain one.

I've googled, tried the PSA website, Abtt etc where there are lots of people who will run courses for venues, companies etc but little information about courses that individuals can attend.

So can anyone point me in the right direction?

Does anyone know somewhere holding a course which would be happy to accommodate an outside candidate in return for an appropriate fee of course?

A quick plea, I'm not looking for a discussion of the worth of such schemes, if you feel the need to air your views on this please start another thread and I'll join in there.

Cheers

Leo

PRG are organising two weeks of courses in January 2008 - they are open to all. If you drop a line to the PSA (gm@psa.org.uk) we'll put you on our mailing list so you get updates and announcements as and when.

I've just been on this course.

They seemed to be doing a uni tour, as well as accepting freelancers. I think it was a NUSSL thing.

It was an alright day, but most of it was spent telling you the law which your employer had to obey rather than practical advise.

I would say it would be more useful if you were in a management posistion/freelance/responsbile for yourself.

For an everyday bod role, the course could have been cut back quite a lot, and more practical bits put in - but then if its the qualification your employer wants then its worth knowing all of it anyway.

... more useful if you were ... responsbile for yourself.

HSWA 1974...

7 General duties of employees at work

It shall be the duty of every employee while at work--

(a) to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of

other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work;

Yes, however, that is a smaller part of the H&S laws.

There is only an amount which the employee needs to know, as well as his employers dutys to him. I found the course went into a lot of law which could have been covered in less detail. Especially as it seems this is for everyone to go on, for example most of the people on my course were bar staff. security etc.

Just my 2p.

Archived