Avo Pearl on a pc as a tester

24seven

I have done a search and didnt fully find what I wanted soooooo

I have a win 2k tablet Pc running the PC version of the Avo pearl had an idea of having it as a tester that I can take into the w/house and tour but I am very confused as it is asking for a dongle but I go to the avo site and dont see anything like that for sale .

so where do you get one is that all I will need

Also any other suggestions for a cheap (dont want to spend a fortune ) rig / fixture tester that can live on a tablet ?

Mark W-E

The PC software for the Pearl is the Simulator and it is just that, a Simulator so does not output DMX in any shape or form. The only time I can see it would ask for a dongle is if you are using the Visualiser software, but the latest version of that no longer needs a dongle.

You may have some success using the Diamond 4 offline, as the desk itself is PC based and most of the internal boards are connected via USB. But even then not sure how you would go about it.

It's certainly not a usual configuration, and don't think it's easily achievable.

Gareth's suggestion of Magic Q software with a low cost (Enttec is a good example) USB-DMX interface is certainly the easiest way to go.

I'm not sure if this is implemented yet. Theoretically it is in the form of the Expert but, like the D4, it is designed to communicate with specific USB-DMX cards anyway.

Personally I would think this an unnecessarily complicated (and most likely impossible!) solution. All the other suggestions are more viable IMO but even more practical would be a dedicated tester. Speak to AC about the Work models (I think). Very impressive & affordable units.

I'm not sure if this is implemented yet. Theoretically it is in the form of the Expert but, like the D4, it is designed to communicate with specific USB-DMX cards anyway.

Personally I would think this an unnecessarily complicated (and most likely impossible!) solution. All the other suggestions are more viable IMO but even more practical would be a dedicated tester. Speak to AC about the Work models (I think). Very impressive & affordable units.

Work models ?????

I did some google bashing and found a few things that might fit the bill - - daslight being one of them - but having something like a pearl on a tablet pc would be ideal could program test sequences on desk pearl then load them up onto the tablet ready for when parts of the rig start to die - - only down side is all the stuff it has to connect to..... all I want is the tablet with a usb - DMX lead coming out of it - hope that make sense its been a long day

Mark W-E

There are numerous USB-DMX devices out there, Entec being the obvious one. DTS also make one, probably cheaper. But the Pearl sim is not going to be an option here AFAIK, so you need to decide if you still want to use this method with one of the other (presumably free?) lighting control applications.

Regarding the Work model:

http://www.aclighting.com/prices/pdf_prices/work.pdf

http://www.aclighting.com/images/newslette..._tester_big.jpg

Can't find any proper description at the mo. Damn awkward word. Requires advanced Googling....

Archived