Green ginger dimmer modules

richard

Hello

We have some rather old green ginger install dimmers which are a little d o d g y. Gradually the ways are going and we are needing to fix or repair them.

Each module is either four 2kw channels (4 small heatsinks) or two 5kw channels (2 big heatsinks) which slot into the rack itself.

I have some spare 5k modules but could do with some spare 2k modules if anyone has any. Otherwise does anyone know how to fix broken channels. They appear to have just locked on at full. Changing out the module fixed the problem so it is not just a demux/cable problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

I repaired a couple of channels of the 2kw version, all parts or equivalents are easily available from CPC,Maplin, RSC. Info on parts available on the net.

Easy to fault find with a scope! Unfortunately I do not have a circuit diag, only a part one I drew until I found the fault, (dry joint on pulse transformer)

Sounds like classic triac failure, not expensive or difficult to fix.

Either that or a sync detector failure. A typical sync detector used an opto-isolator or transistor in series with a 100k 2W carbon film resistor. The latter has a habit of going open circuit. If any have, then replace them with a 100k 2W metal-film and you should be up and running again.

Thanks for the info guys. Sadly I am not too hot with an osciliscope, but will have a look and see what I can see.

If there is anyone in London who would like to earn a little $$ to fix these then do let me know!

Thanks

Richard

not too hot with an osciliscope, but will have a look and see what I can see.

Hopefully you won't need one. Check with power off and load disconnected for continuity across the triac main terminals. If shorted, you probably won't need to look any further.

Archived