NJD Predator

TomLyall

help!...

im thinking of renting four NJD Predators for a fund raising concert at school, does anyone know the channel allocations for these? also I fear that it will have a 3 pin XLR as its often used on the disco market ;)

I was planning to use some par 64s with scrollers but they work out too expensive :P

im planning to buy a PC/DMX interface too because I dont fancy controling anything more than a scroller on our school desk, a sirius24

anwyay if anyones got any ideas or knows anything about the predators your help would be most appreciated,

thanks

tom

Predator HX:

Chan Name Type Notes

---- ---------------- -------------- ----------------------------

1 Mirror X

2 Mirror Y

3 Colour (8 Colours)

4 Lamp Off + Gobo (8 Gobos)

On All Products Colours Are As Follows:

0 - 31 Magenta

32 - 63 Yellow

64 - 95 Cyan

96 - 127 Pink

128 - 159 Green

160 - 191 Red

192 - 223 Blue

224 - 255 White

Predator MX, HX And Chroma HX allow Split Colours (split is proportional to data) i.e. 16 is half Magenta, half Yellow.

GOBOS:

0 Shutdown (& turn lamp off if halogen)

1 - 31 3 X 3 Squares

32 - 63 Tunnel

64 - 95 Dots

96 - 127 Star

128 - 159 Triangle

160 - 191 Octal

192 - 223 Circle

224 - 255 Blackout

Mirror Movement

0 = Left 255 = Right (X-Reverse Switch Available) Total Movement = 172.8¡

0 = Down 255 = Up. Total Movement Of Beam = 172.8¡ (Microbeam, IQ250, IQ500)

86.4¡ (Predator)

This may help with channel allocations NJD Lighting Effects

At a guess it will be colour, gobo/strobe, pan, tilt, best bet would be to connect it up and have a try.

Also we have a sirius 48, and we are also using scans for a show, they seem to run fine on the sirius, only issue is you may need to run say two or three cues consecutively. When is your show, because ours is next week so by then I can tell you how practical it really is.

HTH

PN

Damn your all too fast at typing, but the sirius information is hopefully still of use.

thanks guys,

im in leicestershire in the east midlands, and the concert is wednesday night, june 30th

I cant really get the budget to stretch to a desk, well our budget for the night is only £300.

fortuanately, we've been really lucky...

the PA's only costing us £100, not £300. one of the part time music teachers at school also works for a company that rent them out or something I think.

anyway weve been given a load of dry ice free (well weve been promised it nearer the time) weve just gotta pay £20 for delivery.

and im renting all the lighting from Hawthorns.

I better get some adaptors for the 3 pin XLRs then if im gonna use the scanners.

seeing as I cant hire a desk for the night I think im gonna buy an interface from CPC (£70 or thereabouts I think) and use that with a laptop to most of it and keep the sirius there to do some of the stuff, I think I need to get a merger...

I just dont know wheather to go with the pars and scrollers (about £25 each, 64 and scroller that is) or the scanners (about £20 each)...

I'm in leicester at DMU. I have one of these maplin boards that have been mentioned elsewhere in the forum (tho not in a case as yet ** laughs out loud **) and a serial cable for it (9pin) and am working on some control software thatll control 12 scanners (with channel allocations for pan, tilt, colour, gobo, shutter) and the lamp on/off instruction channel/code. Currently it has 100 or 128 (currently cant install VB6 atm so development's on hold) static memories, although when I get VB6 back on after a new hdd and reinstall I'm planning on adding xfades option to the memories. Basic app aimed at moving lights for now, if I write a program to do static presets as well I want to do it properly and don't have the time to do a thorough design right now.

Dave

ive been looking at that maplin board too...

although I think it'll cost me about £100 to buy it and modify it for what I want.. (rack mount case, power supply, 5 pin XLRs to replace the 3 pins its fitted with ;) )

ive downloaded the softwear they ship with it, very basic but I guess it takes the hard work out of writing the actual serial interface seeign as theyve given you the source. unfotunately ive not got visual studio anymore since I reformatted without backing it up (wasnt a planned reformat),

ive seen a nice one from CPC, 120 channels, about £70, this ones looks nicer to me as its all finished and comes bundled with some nice softwear, well it sounds nice, well, ish, the disadvantage is that it doesnt come with the source code so id have to start from scratch if I wanted to change that,

I wouldnt mind seeing your softwear for the maplin one, see what ideas youve had, although if you could send me a comiled executable cus I havent got vb installed, that is if youve got one, ill pm you my email addy

thanks

tom

Archived