PMR radios

James C

I could do with 2 or 3 radio handsets for general communication at busy times (not for cueing shows), and to save quite so many "is it working this time?" return-trips to the dimmer room. Anyone had good experience with the "leisure" end of the market?

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Motorola T5522 or similar. They'll be for occasional use, so won't take too much of a hammering. I just want to know that they'll be of a usable quality in a not very big (though thick-walled) building. Blowing £150 a piece on "professional" handsets isn't an option. Anyone want to share their experience?

Hi James,

I own a couple of the motorola T5522 and use them for the same purpose. they've been used in most type of venue (mostly thick walled) and from one end of the venue to the other are crystal clear, they have taken quite a bit of a beating but they still work fine.

You can get 2 radios and a dual drop in charger from maplins (N21AJ) for about £79 - £89.

HTH,

Sam

I was really surprised with my Binatone MR600s... bought them for biking in France where they worked gloriously, but also tried them at work last year. Worked a treat throughout our venue - lots of concrete, and even got as far as the snug bar in the pub up the road (purely for test purposes!) Ridiculously cheap at £50 / pair inc. charger from Argos - but not quite as chunky & rugged as the Motorolas

We found that in our new(ish) venue which has a lot of steel framing that the leisure radios didn't really work. Luckily for us we already had Motorolas for Tech to FOH co-ordination, so we added an extra channel. Obviously no use if you don't already have some. My flatmate has also had trouble with that type and had to spend the money on "proper" motorolas.

Try before you buy, basically.

I have a few pairs of the T5522s and find the are great over quite a distance with some very thick walls in the way. it is worth getting a head set or 2 aswell as this is really clear and gives you 2 hands to do whatever job you might need to do. only bad thing about the T5522s is the belt clips dont last very long in my evperiance, but are easy to replace and not really needed unless there is lots of running about nad no spare pocket space

Ben

I have come across several models from diferent manufacturers.

It seems that some of the manufacturers think thit it is necessary to have a "Ringtone". Annoying at the best of times, but if you are not going to use with an earpiece, totally useless during a performance.

It would be worthwhile borrowing a pair and trying them out in your venue. Some areas have a lot of different users, making it difficult to find a clear frequency (There are only 8).

I have used lots of different Motorolas and I have found that on many of the cheaper (no need for a licence) ones the VOX is really bad. It always turns on when your not speaking and takes ages to cut out at the end of a message, I don't know if it is possible but maybe you could just PTT Whilst using a headset but I suppose this gets rid of the free hands theory

Just A Thought

Sam

It would be worthwhile borrowing a pair and trying them out in your venue.  Some areas have a lot of different users, making it difficult to find a clear frequency (There are only 8).

they have 8 but there is 35 sub channels in each of the 8. We use 6 motorola handie pros & 8 of the small euro waves in our venue next to the city centre and most of the sports centres shopping centres and bars use pmr 446 and we never have a problem finding a free channel. The cheap radios are ok just for a day to day if you are in another area from another person to save running about back in forward, But wouldnt recomend them for much more. We used some of the goodmans ones they are a bit crakley and cut out.

I have recently bought a pair of Motorola T5522 but as an end of line item at Comet. I got them for £51, maybe have a look in your local one. I found mine at the end of the printer display, unexpectedly, I had popped in to buy a new printer but came out with them! :huh:

Not had much chance to road test them yet but worked from inside a church to home, a mile away!

They look well designed and reliable. The roger bleep is simply removed by pushing the + button while turning on the unit.

I have used lots of different Motorolas and I have found that on many of the cheaper (no need for a licence) ones the VOX is really bad. It always turns on when your not speaking and takes ages to cut out at the end of a message, I don't know if it is possible but maybe you could just PTT Whilst using a headset

I have found that if you change the VOX sensitivity settings they are normmally ok even on the cheaper motorolas.

...they have 8 but there is 35 sub channels...

The 'sub channels' are use Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System (CTCSS). If two users are transmitting on the same channel, but using different CTCSS tones, they will not hear each other's transmissions. If they both transmit simultaneously, the signals interferewith each other and one of 2 things may occur:

1) One or others CTCSS tone will be lost in the noise and the squelch will not open.

2) You will bet a very distorted signal with a buzzing noise.

(I have not experienced this with PMR 446 - I have in the 2m Amateur band where I use between 5W and 50W)

Remember that the cheaper PMR446 radios do not have CTCSS

Archived