Work Experience in my Gap Year

Well, I'm 19 and at the Start of my Gap year where I finished my A Levels studying English Literature, Theatre Studeis, Maths and Geology. In the year im hoping to gain as much experience as possible in Technical Theatre. I've emailed a few playhouses and hoping my friend who is a Freelance Technician can help me with some work experience. I'm basically writing to just volunteer myself for anything out there. I dont need to get paid and I have a car so I'm willing to travel for some good hard work experience and a nice reference at the end of it.

I'm hoping to apply to RADA and LAMDA, also looking at other places situated near London, I like London :rolleyes:, during this year. I'm hoping I can take the course in Technical Theatre and Stage Management. I'm interested in Lighting and Sound but also the Construction side appeals to me to. To be honest I'm pretty much open to anything. Any Experience is good and I just wanna work within the Theatre so any information, help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I'm hoping to apply to RADA and LAMDA, also looking at other places situated near London, I like London :rolleyes:, during this year. I'm hoping I can take the course in Technical Theatre and Stage Management. I'm interested in Lighting and Sound but also the Construction side appeals to me to.

So can we assume that you are applying for 2008 intake? You say during the year you are "...hoping I can take the course in Technical Theatre and Stage Management." What do you man by THE course? When is the course, as it won't be worth someone offering you experience in say January if the course is in January. Is it a 'block' course or a day release type affair?

As many have said on here before in response to such posts, a good bet might be contacting local hire companies and working a year in their warehouse/units prepping kit, setting up shows, working as part of teh crew. that should give you exposure to many aspects. An alternative would be to join a crewing agency, and specify that you would prefer theatre experience, as opposed to corporate or music. You may still have to do the others, but may also get experience in a theatre and get to know the SM etc and talk to them about your plans. Keep their name and number as it may be useful in the future.

As anybody who actually works in theatre knows, the Technical and Stage Management courses at both LAMDA and RADA are very good, and particularly suited to somebody interested in gaining an all round training.

Don't narrow your options by working for a hire company unless it's the only thing you can get. Joining a crewing agency might not be a bad idea, but I'm afraid I don't have any local knowledge to assist you on that.

I'm guessing from what you say you've tried Derby Playhouse and other local theatres - keep on on that track but try the smaller venues in your area as well (is there such a thing as fringe outside London?).

Don't forget to go and see as much theatre as you can (afford) during the year - it will stand you in good stead in you application.

T

Just to answer your question djw1981. I was refering to a course that starts in September 2008. Lookign at both LAMDA and RADA just now the deadlines are April/May time and so ideally I'm hoping to gain as much experience possible before then. But obviously I want to hand in my application a little while before the deadline. I'm sure though that you could put experience that you have planned to do.

Thanks with the advice by the way.

Tom - I got told about seeing lots of theatre. I was told that I could maybe write a paragraph about the show. Just to sum up what I thought etc. Does that sound like a good idea. To put in my portfolio?

I'm not sure what you mean by Fringe, I've personally never heard of it so... What is it?

Also a Crewing Agency - Where can I find one?

Thanks once again. Its great to have some feedback.

My advice would be to get yourself onto NSDF and the Fringe etc. They are all (kind of) social events however don't think its a walk in the park. You will work bloody hard on both and learn a hell of alot, the playing hard bit is just a myth - honest! :rolleyes:

The biggest question I will ask anyone with queries about courses in Techincal Theatre is, do you actually want to be in Theatre industry or the Rock & Roll/touring side of things? It's not the same (although many believe either or will help for the other).

I dont need to get paid

Yes you do, because:

a) If you don't, you are taking paid work away from me - and I'm broke at the moment!

b) Given that you will not be in a formal work experience situation - that is, one organised by an educational institution with learning outcomes/objectives, blah, blah - you stand the chance of being exploited. BECTU has some fairly harsh things to say about this type of intership.

c) If you are paid, you will have a value - both to yourself and to your employer.

I would agree with the poster that suggests you should see as many things as possible. I'm not sure of its value as part of a portfolio, but keeping a diary of what you see will give you plenty to think and talk about at interviews - as well as demonstrating you actually have an interest in the subject. Unless you particularly like pushing boxes around I'd avoid crewing agencies - although with the bigger, London based ones you do get the chance to meet some jolly Ozzies, Kiwis and Boks.

As I've said before, and this isn't what you're asking, I'd push off and do something completely different for six months - sailing, climbing, anything. You've got another 40 years working in dark, enclosed spaces.

Hope that helps

KC

Well thankyou for the replies. I found a 'Fringe' at Buxton Opera House. So I will soon make the time to go over to Buxton to pay them a visit. I thought it would be better in person.

It seems harder to get work experience, even if you're offering services for free, than I expected. I rang some play houses and it seems that they seem to all stick to students/citizens from there own county. Also they seem to only allow people in who are in their Youth Theatre Company and prefably for students in the GCSE years.

Just thought I'd ask, to anyone who has got into RADA, LAMDA or Central. How much experience did you have before applying? I think I migt just be getting nervous that I havn't done enough.

As Head Technician at an independent boys school in London we are looking for trainees or Graduates. To help design build and coordinate our Autumn and Spring major productions. There is a good budget for a school and scope to create anything within that budget. This is a hands on role. You must be willing to work with the students in"stagecrew" who provide all the other production roles. There is a large number of external hire that also need technical support. If you are interested then please email CV.

It seems harder to get work experience, even if you're offering services for free, than I expected. I rang some play houses and it seems that they seem to all stick to students/citizens from there own county. Also they seem to only allow people in who are in their Youth Theatre Company and prefably for students in the GCSE years.

This is because you are asking for 'work experience'. If you apply for casual work and say you have some experience and are looking to build on this, you will probably get much further.

Just thought I'd ask, to anyone who has got into RADA, LAMDA or Central. How much experience did you have before applying? I think I migt just be getting nervous that I havn't done enough.

I'm currently at RADA on their Technical Theatre & Stage Management course and I'd recommend it! Personally I had quite a bit of experience before I started RADA, but some people didn't really have any. As long as you show a clear interest and actually want/I] to work in the industry (with all the long hours, lack of daylight etc.) then you'll get in. While you obviously can apply at any time before the deadline, earlier is generally better... I would say definately apply before March at RADA.

HTH

Duncan

Butlins (altho not a theatre) over weekend breaks is good to work. its just doing massive get ins outs and operating/crewing live acts then mid week is all maintenance and setting up for next show. I wiorked at the one in skegness before going to uni and loved the weekend breaks however I dont recommend staying there very long cos the summer works a bit, how do I put this... crap. U could apply as crew if no prior experience. Its a good laugh that pays between min wage upwards and u can live on site so no house searching. Something you might want to consider.

Failing that there are plenty of crewing companies that will give you diff. types of experience in London.

My advice would be to get yourself onto NSDF and the Fringe etc. They are all (kind of) social events however don't think its a walk in the park. You will work bloody hard on both and learn a hell of alot, the playing hard bit is just a myth - honest! :)

Actually, the playing hard thing is reality, in both situations... But, yes, you do work very hard... If you need any more information regarding NSDF, please PM me...

I know a bit about the Fringe too, been doing it seven years in various venues.

I spent my gap year working in a "proper" job - but got myself involved with several amateur companies and generally got myself into as many theatres as possible as a casual. I started out general crew, then moved up to follow spotting etc...

Archived