How to light a scene on the moon

Ben Lawrance

Hi All,

Just received the script for this years Panto and going through it to get some ideas on lighting design etc.

I've stumbled across a scene that takes place on the moon. The Scenery will consist of a black backdrop with a few grey stars painted on, and grey side flats with a few planets on.

My initial idea was throw lots of congo at it with a small amount of front/side to pick up faces. However, thinking about, why am I using blue? Surely the light on the moon is created by the sun.

I open it up to you the industry experts to say what you would do with such scene.

Cheers

Depends on if it's supposed to be real or cartoonish. Scrap the grey side flats, stick with the black. If it's a star cloth all the better, but probably too many stars. Pea lamps wired with black cable in a kind of loose mesh, hung just in front of the black would be nice. Grey, horizon groundrow with hills and craters - and high bright side light for harsh shadows from just one side and some gentle fill from front. Maybe an open white side light, or poss one of the lavenders, with darker blue as the fill. I'd probably not go to congo - moonscape is black and white. For comic effect, I'd do a UV, with planets and stars in wierd colours.

I agree with the Monochrome look. That always suggests the moon to me.

It would be significantly different to the rest of your colourful panto to suggest "another world" and would make the scene stand out as such. Try and find some colours (or even light sources) that are much less yellow than tungsten and use very directional light with strong shadows. And think about a strobe for any slo-mo moonwalk type stuff.

It might be that your Director wants a more cartoony, "castle in the sky" , usual panto magical/mystical place. In which case, get the UV paint out and ignore everything I just said.

After having a think about it, and reading the comments above, I think I'm going to keep away from the "real moon" side of things and make it really cheesy. Loads of UV, lots of pea bulbs scattered about, bit of low fog, something to resemble the sun so I get shadows in one direction.

Cheers guys

:rolleyes:

After all - you say it's PANTO, so cheese would be the order of the day!

(Especially as the moon's supposed to be made of cheese, don't ya know...! :** laughs out loud **:)

Not sure UV/Congo would be the best option, though it could work - especially if you go uber-cheesy and have fluorescent planets hung on the back blacks.

Cheap & cheerful for a budget panto!

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/uploads/post-354-1191935503_thumb.jpg

That pic maybe a guide on how not to light something to look like the moon - his body is casting a shadow towards the camera yet his suit is perfectly lit - maybe there's a second sun up there that we don't know about :rolleyes:

That pic maybe a guide on how not to light something to look like the moon - his body is casting a shadow towards the camera yet his suit is perfectly lit - maybe there's a second sun up there that we don't know about :rolleyes:

Ah, the old conspiracy theory. Yes, the astronaut is back-lit....but the dusty surface is light grey, the other astronaut (taking the picture) is in a brilliant white suit and the gear just to the right of frame is wrapped in highly-reflective mylar insulation. All make excellent natural reflectors and the photo looks exactly as I'd expect it to.

Back on the panto, I saw a moon scene done a couple of years back...they went with the monochrome style, but with lots of cheesy flashing lights on space suits...and lots of pretending to walk in 1/6th gravity.

Bob

Guest lightnix
http://www.blue-room.org.uk/uploads/post-354-1191935503_thumb.jpg

That pic maybe a guide on how not to light something to look like the moon - his body is casting a shadow towards the camera yet his suit is perfectly lit - maybe there's a second sun up there that we don't know about ;)

Or maybe it was just sunlight bouncing from the surface of the Moon ;)

Don't forget: on a clear night, the light of a Full Moon is strong enough to cast shadows on Earth - a quarter of a million miles away.

Don't forget: on a clear night, the light of a Full Moon is strong enough to cast shadows on Earth - a quarter of a million miles away.

If vissible at the time, the light from the Earth would be pretty bright.

Archived