VISION, Light enhancer, Hazer

fergieinthenorth

I have just purchased this hazer from a roady. I have looked all over the net to try an find out what type of fluid it uses (oil or water based).

When I got the hazer I had to strip it down and clean it out as it was full of old residue that was blocking the jets. It all got washed with deminaralised water and I just now need to know which fluid to use.

Any ideas greatly appreicated.

fergie

If it has a jet, a heater requiring warm-up time and is virtually silent then will be water/glycol.

If it has a large outlet, no warm-up time and has noisy air compressor/makes gurgling noise or has additional CO2 cannister then will be mineral oil.

Vision Light Enhancers (LE-100 & LE-200s) are AC Lighting's "own brand" hazers and you can buy the correct fluid for the machines from them. You might be able to use another manufacturer's fluid but most fluids are about the same price (I have had Vision, Cirro & Unique hazers in my hire stock) so you might as well use the right one!

If it has a jet, a heater requiring warm-up time and is virtually silent then will be water/glycol.If it has a large outlet, no warm-up time and has noisy air compressor/makes gurgling noise or has additional CO2 cannister then will be mineral oil.
Cheers thanks a lot!!!!Massive help.
We've got an LE200 (which has a habit of leaking a bit for no particular reason, but hey ho) and I believe it's mineral oil.HTH.
Cheers Thanks a lot great help!!!!

Just to confirm others suspicions that it is indeed mineral oil. Before you fill it up make sure its innards are as dry as possible as one of the biggest causes of sludging tends to be water and once you put the oil in you ain't going to get it out.

Vision Light Enhancers (LE-100 & LE-200s) are AC Lighting's "own brand" hazers and you can buy the correct fluid for the machines from them.

That's intriguing, I didn't know that!

I've been investigating our LE200 this morning. I've come to the conclusion that it's not in fact leaking in operation but I think the safety bung isn't original; it's a bit big and has a bit cut out from the retainer underneath so that it fits - but it doesn't, really. Consequently I think fluid comes out of it too efficiently when the hazer is moved around - even if it's not tipped it's swung and goes down ramps etc - and so oil comes out 'naturally' and promptly leaks through the flight case etc (even though we sit it on a bed of old T shirts)...

A colleague suggested replacing it with a cork or rubber bung (cf Chemistry labs) which is more of a seal but will still act as a pressure valve. I'll ask AC if they have any spare bungs but in the meantime, does anyone know what the bung is /supposed/ to look like? I'll take a pic of ours if it helps and someone who knows the unit could look and tell us if it's the original or not?

Thanks

Peter

I have seen one a couple of times but can't really remember what they look like. One thing to remember is that the oil will 'rot' anything latex/rubber based, it does take a long time and shouldn't give you any immediate problems but it's worth bearing in mind if you're looking for a permanent solution.

Thanks for the tip about the rubber perishing.

There's a couple of poor pics of our bung here:

http://www.scandrett.net/bits/bung.jpg

http://www.scandrett.net/bits/bung2.jpg

I'll drop AC a line and see what they say.

Thanks.

That looks like the original bung to me. Mine never fitted very well in my LE-200 either, it wouldn't stay seated & the hazer was always pretty "greasy".

That looks like the original bung to me.

Oh, is it? :-( That's a shame. Thanks. Did you have any solutions for keeping it vaguely dry and non-drippy?

No! It didn't drip or leak but it did get very greasy and a clean up every couple of uses with paper towels was all I ever did.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I've contacted AC lighting and they've sent a new bung through to us FOC, which is great. Thanks AC!

Unfortunately... on the same weekend that the bung arrived, the hazer packed up.

Upon further investigation, the problem appears to be with the compressor; it has gone partially open circuit, but not enough to cause breakers to trip - the compressor unit now draws about 6A (compared to its usual 1-2A!) but no longer compresses. I suspect some windings on the pump's armature have fused or something similar. The fan/air circulation unit in the hazer appears to be fine.

AC say that the manufacturer insists on doing any repair work at their premises; fair enough, I suppose - but for background info, are these just standard compressors? Could we, in theory, get another standard compressor and swap it out? I'll have a word with our resident mechanic-knows-loads-about-this-sort-of-thing guy but from a hazer point of view is there any real reason why we couldn't do that?

Thanks!

It will be just a standard compressor... but,

Any replacement has to operate to the same specs... pressure, output rate, heat output etc. And pnumatic systems are potentially quite hazardous, hence the insistance on it being returned to the manufacturer. If you know the specs of the compressor then you might be able to replace it on the cheap... or you might have all sorts of trouble.

• 4 years later...

Firstly, apologies for the thread necromancy! I figured it made sense to continue here rather than create a new thread.

Hopefully a quick one, does anyone have, or have a link for, a user manual for the Vision Light Enhancer hazer (either 100 or 200) that they would be willing to share? I can't seem to find anything on AC-Lighting's websites or google.

Many Thanks.

Archived