T-Spot - Fresnels

paulears

Doing a little job the other day and was surprised the school had T-spots. Not a very common lantern in education. They also had some Fresnel T-Spots. I didn't know they'd made any. There were no labels on them, but did look very much like T-Spot housings. They had Blue rear handle, rather than black, and a blue yoke brake.

Anybody any idea what they are?

Doing a little job the other day and was surprised the school had T-spots. Not a very common lantern in education.

I'm quite surprised about that. The school that I was a student at until a few months ago had 4 of them. As well as being ok as general spots, the square shutters in them made them very useful for small touches such as lighting the school crest above the stage.

A 764 is a halogen lamped 1K Bifocal spot, and a 793 is the halogen version of the 293 follow spot

To add to the confusion, I learned to f/spot on the P765 which was MH one fitted with four leaf dimming shutter. And sights made from 4mm earth cable and eyelets ( sob, sniff..).

Anway, I can't remember seeing any Teapot Fresnels but the mention of blue handles and lockoff made me think of ADB kit. Their stuff was black and boxy and did have blue accessories.

Now, everyone stop mentioning old Strand Patt lanterns, I'm starting to get emotional.

similar - but there wasn't a 1K Fresnel 800 series, was there?

I'm sure there was. I seem to remember Kent Opera buying an entire rig of 800 series instruments, along with ParBlazers, in the early 1980s....and a whole load of Tempus dimmers in metal frames.

I remember them as being particularly useless..the luminaires that is; Kent Opera were great.

Cheers

KC

If the fixture had a reflector it was a Strand Patt 803. Rated for 650w (using a T13) it had a very good lens. We had 4, but their large size (much bigger than the then new Minuette and nearly as large as ADB 1ks) meant thet we didn't purchase any more. The Patt 743 was still in production at this time.

If the fixture doesn't have a reflector it's a Patt 833. Introduced as a direct replacement for the Patt 45, which didn't have reflector either. This seemed to find its way into school stocks, where the purchase price (not performance) was the governing factor. It was this price-led approach that flooded education with the Minim lanterns.

I knew getting old would come in handy one day.

TTFN

We have 10 T-spots on permanant hire from a friend. Not often used, but I will stick my head on the line here and say that I would rather focus a T-spot than a Source4. That is only because of the shutters. If only there was a modern bifocal lantern like the T-spot.

Archived