USB down a multicore

ace

You can get various adaptors that allegedly allow you to extend this - typically up to 50m over cat5. Whether these would work over a multi is anyone's guess....

Personally, I'd treat this sort of thing as a "get out of jail free card" - to be used in emergencies only. I wouldn't be happy running anything critical over it...

eeek.. I am sure that I read USB 2.0 was good for up to 50m!
It sure as heck aint!

USB 2.0 actually has a shorter usable range than USB 1.1

The spec says 5m - USB 1.1 could often go a little futher, USB 2.0 does not.

USB is also incredibly sensitive to the cable used - I once tried using a 10cm extension made out of equipment wire, and it didn't work at all.

To send USB that kind of distance you need a special USB to Cat5 adapter box - however most of these only support standard keyboards and mice.

As previously mentionned there are devices that make it possible to transmit USB over CAT5 cable (Black Box make a range of solutions incorporating KVM technologies etc)

Would the CAT5 extension work down a couple of pairs of the twisted pair on the mutli? I have had this work on a show for setting utilising BSS Omnidrives and a USB/RS232 convertor (As an experiment rather than converting rs232 to 485 for the journey) I never had a problem and all I had to construct was the obvious RJ45 - 2 x XLR cable.

Worth noting is to check how many pairs the converter you use actually uses as this can vary on the device. The multicore I was touring was 65m in length just to give you an idea...we tried adding XLR extensions to the multicore to see how far we could successfully get it to work. The critical length for that particular setup was 80m (luckily for us) although I have since tried the setup using a cheaper unbranded mutlicore of 40m and the error rate was high. The conclusion being cable quality (I am guessing its related to the twisting of the cables and the rejection rate) can make or break the system.

What do you need USB over that distance for?

RS232 is easier to work with and adapt for use over that distance (and a darn sight cheaper)

If the USB is needed for high date tranfer rates (ie: audio) then I would conclude you may be out of luck and would be better sending the audio to the device.

Poppadom

I run my printer 15m over USB, but does work on 20m. However it is a powered device, I've not tried it with a flash drive...

.... OK I have now, I can run my flash drive from 20m away from my PC. But this in on Belkin 5m USB extensions not multi core cable.

I run my printer 15m over USB, but does work on 20m. However it is a powered device, I've not tried it with a flash drive...

.... OK I have now, I can run my flash drive from 20m away from my PC. But this in on Belkin 5m USB extensions not multi core cable.

Presuming these are the active USB extenders?

Archived