surround sound

timtheenchanteruk

Ive applied for a job in a performing arts collage as a technician, and a bit of research shows that the theatre, and one other performance space has surround sound.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how these systems work, Ive worked plenty with normal stereo/mono setups, but never surround.

Ive tried googe, but all I get is home cinema rubbish.

Presumably its processed in the normal way, then just set by the digital desk, or some other controller into its surround position.

Im also guessing that normal vocals/voices on the the stage would be L/R or centre, whilst the surround used mainly for some reverbs, and SFX.

Many thanks.

The venue is intake arts collage, in leeds, other than that I cant at the moment provide any information,

# Drama Studio 1- Fully equipped with theatre lighting, surround sound and audience seating for 90.

# Drama Studio 2, 3, and 4- All equipped with music and audio visual systems

# Assembly Hall One- As well as being a teaching space, this is where major performances are staged. Facilities include a proscenium arch stage, raked seating for 300 audience, full lighting rig and surround sound

thats the only info I have for now (whats on the website)

I take it then that there is no standard setup/system for surround sound.

Hi Tim,

you don't think that you may have shot yourself in the foot here?

You've applied for a job at Intake Arts College, Leeds, which has a surround sound system, a type of system about which you admit you have no knowledge.

With this being a theatre based forum do you think there could be a slim chance that your prospective employer is a BR member and now knows you may be unsuitable for the job.

thats the only info I have for now (whats on the website)

Of course it could also be just 'hype' by a marketing person/website designer who sees a speaker in each corner of the room and applies the term "surround sound" without a particular technical reference. My drama studio has 4 speakers - one in each corner - I could say that is surround sound as well, but it's just a L&R feeding front-L and front-R, plus 2 group outputs feeding the other two. Not exactly, true 'cinema surround'.

Hi,

If the system is attempting to be truly surround as opposed to just relay speakers down the side, it is most likely something like outboards TiMax system which uses DSP to process the sound applying delays to each speaker position and uses psycho-acoustic phenomena to 'trick' the ears into thinking the noise they heard came from the performer not the speaker system. They call this Source Oriented Reinforcement.

http://outboard.co.uk/pages/timax.htm

York university has listening rooms with Ambisonic systems which are the not very common but the only system that attempts to record and render entire soundfields using a physics/maths basis, as opposed to every other surround system which just send a discrete mix to each speaker. This is something that Funktion-One have been toying with for a while now and have taken to festivals such as the glade.

take a look here:

http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/mustech/3d_audio/welcome.html

Owen.

With this being a theatre based forum do you think there could be a slim chance that your prospective employer is a BR member and now knows you may be unsuitable for the job?

On the contrary, if I worked for the college I'd think he was a perfect candidate. After all, he's taken the trouble to find out what they have, worked out where his weakness is and is dealing with it prior to attending an interview. How many other candidates have weaknesses they are not bothering to address?

Good for you Tim, I say. If you are ever looking for a job in Kent and we are advertising at the time then I'd be happy to interview you.

JSB

With this being a theatre based forum do you think there could be a slim chance that your prospective employer is a BR member and now knows you may be unsuitable for the job?

On the contrary, if I worked for the college I'd think he was a perfect candidate. After all, he's taken the trouble to find out what they have, worked out where his weakness is and is dealing with it prior to attending an interview. How many other candidates have weaknesses they are not bothering to address?

Good for you Tim, I say. If you are ever looking for a job in Kent and we are advertising at the time then I'd be happy to interview you.

JSB

I did say may be,

Yes, I too applaude his wit in researching the venue but if experience of surround sound was a criteria for the job and all other things being equal other candidates say they are fully conversant with surround sound, even if that were to be a bluff, the OP can't use that bluff as he has made his is short coming public knowledge and so may be at a disadvantage.

Archived