Combined power and signal cable

ben.suffolk

Guys,

I'm looking for some combined power and signal cables. Actually for powered speakers, but mostly I have seen them advertised for DMX, hence asking in this forum. If you would rather it be in sound, please feel free to move it.

I can't find a supplier of the cable, but I do see CPC sell the cables ready made up AV12929, at around £44 + VAT for a 20 M length.

I'm wondering if anybody knows where I can buy either the same style cables cheaper, or the cable by the meter (but its got to be cheaper than buying the ready made up ones from CPC, otherwise I'll by them and cut the down to size, using the rest of the cable to make additional leads)

Regards

Ben

Wouldn't it be easier and possibly cheaper to just create a mini loom - i.e. two leads and a bit of lx tape???
Another option (bit more permanent) is to use cable ties, or half inch sections of black (or whatever colour you fancy) heat shrink, every foot and a half or so..

Both the two things I mentioned seemed to work OK for me in the past.

HTH.

Tom

I have done the heat shrink thing before. Agree that cable ties are a bit of an issue when coiling the cable up.

The problem I would expect if you tape the entire cables up into a loom would be the flexibility of the cable.

At the end of the say I'm happy to pay the CPC price for the cable if thats what I need to pay to get the right stuff. But obviously if anybody knows a cheaper source, or an equivalent per meter price then I want to know.

Ben

The problem I would expect if you tape the entire cables up into a loom would be the flexibility of the cable.
I don't think you'll find it an issue Ben. Its also the way lots of big companies do it for their FOH multis/lighting looms to trusses, and its never really an issue. The only challenge is choosing a suitable gap that doesn't remove all flexibility but also doesn't leave loops dangling to snag on things. I imagine you've already got the relevant signal and power cables, so you could try it and see! :)

It is unfortunately fairly mind numbingly boring, especially for longer runs.

Yes, was thinking of banding like any other tape or shrink rather than mummifying the loom, seen that done in gaffer its expensive , the looms uncahngeable afterwards and it ends up getting stcky and attracting all sorts of crud.

TMB only do scroller cable that can see with 2 power cores.

Theres 2 types of self amalgamating tape, PIB, poly iso butyrate I think, primary purpose is for sealing cable joints up to several KV and Silicone, self fusing tape, which is better under pressure, watch the www.rescuetape.com demo at Plasa. Both only melt together when stretched and bound in on itself, never seen it decide to stick to itself without a heavy stretch immediately prior.

Archived