Can a school use Pyros?

Jambo_UK

In reply to ianl above:

The new MSER Regs encompass all explosive industries from those using High Explosives right down to the smallest 'explosive' devices which include 'articles pyrotechnic', 'fireworks', 'vehicle airbag initiators'etc.

The 14 day rule allowed unlimited quantities of devices to be stored provided they were used within 14 days - it was included in the Old regulations to allow for shop storage and for the keeping of fireworks by firework display companies.

The bottom line with this is that as long as the total amount of a theatre's stock of theatrical devices are Hazard Type 4 (HT4) the maximum net explosive quantity allowed to be stored before the store must be properly registered is 5 Kilos - which is quite a lot in theatrical terms, as discussed above!

The need to register your store with the local authority before you reach 5 Kilos is voluntary but would be considered good practice for keeping the local authority well informed and on your side - the Local Authority usually has close links with their respective police and fire service, and there may also be insurance implications for venues that have not declared the storage of explosives on the premises.

Cheers

Tim

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, and on the license issue, I'm certain you don't need one as long as the venue is licensed for general performance/general entertainment venue as most school halls are as I mentioned previously. You have to do a detailed risk assessment and sign and date it though.

So let me get this right! all I have to do is ring one of the village halls we are going to play at. find out if they have a entertainment licence. Get the licence holders permission to fire pyros, Do a risk assessment and thats is it.

(sorry if you are all a bit shocked that I am asking something so trivial but this is the first touring event I am planning.) hay we all have to start somewhere. :)

...if they have a entertainment licence...

Nobody has an entertainments licence - they ceased to exist in November last year. They now have Premises Licences which should specify how the venue plans to meets the key licensing objectives - one of which is public safety. Their operating schedule will also help. When the licence was issued the local authority who issues it will have also issued a set of terms and conditions - they should also be consulted.

...if they have a entertainment licence...

terms and conditions - they should also be consulted.

what would they say something like they can or cant use pyro in there venue

And if that is ok then what?

thanks for the help.

There appears to be a small glitch in the new licensing system - some venues who didn't have a liquor licence, never got the reminders to apply for a new licence. I thought it was quite funny when a rock gig got booked at one of those Kings Centres that are all over the place, and they realised 5 mins before the show that they didn't actually have a licence for public events anymore? Didn't stop them, of course.

There appears to be a small glitch in the new licensing system - some venues who didn't have a liquor licence, never got the reminders to apply for a new licence. I thought it was quite funny when a rock gig got booked at one of those Kings Centres that are all over the place, and they realised 5 mins before the show that they didn't actually have a licence for public events anymore? Didn't stop them, of course.
:D

I was amused to read in the paper today that the BBC are having to get staff to be the studio audience due to not having the relevant license.

The BBC has appealed to staff to make up the numbers in studio audiences after it found it was breaking the law by hosting shows at Television Centre.
Full story here.

Archived