Can a school use Pyros?

Jambo_UK

Most manufacturers say 18.

As far as I was aware I thought the Legal Age for Fireing Pyros was 18 no Buts.

The problem is the word 'legal'. I'm fairly certain that there is nothing written down 'in law' which says you must be 18. However, all the theatre licences I've ever seen, the new national standards and all the manufacturers bumpf all say 18. It would be an idiot who disregarded all that advice.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem is the word 'legal'. I'm fairly certain that there is nothing written down 'in law' which says you must be 18. However, all the theatre licences I've ever seen, the new national standards and all the manufacturers bumpf all say 18. It would be an idiot who disregarded all that advice.

So does this mean 'hypatheticaly' if someone under the age of 18 now went and set off a Pyro they wouldn't be braking the Law, simply going against the Laws Advice??

I can see what your saying though if an accident happened the HSE are going to hold it against you, the fact that you dissregarded all advice given to you by them, the manufacturer and a Theatre Licence

Sam

So does this mean 'hypatheticaly' if someone under the age of 18 now went and set off a Pyro they wouldn't be braking the Law, simply going against the Laws Advice??

I'm not aware that there would be a criminal offence commited (which is what I regard as 'breaking the law') were it to happen. It would however be a breach of your theatre license which could result in it being withdrawn or at the very least you might find it difficult to renew next year.

I'm not aware that there would be a criminal offence commited (which is what I regard as 'breaking the law') were it to happen. It would however be a breach of your theatre license which could result in it being withdrawn or at the very least you might find it difficult to renew next year.

OK- Thanks for clearing that up for me,

In conclusion I amreading from the last few posts that having an Pyro Op under the 18 will not be Illegal but extremly bad for the Theatre as it could become unopperational due to it.

Thanks for that Brian

Sam

Having thought about it a bit more, I can see a scenario where a visiting HSE Inspector notices the operator is under 18 and decides to prosecute for a breach of the HSWA under either section 2 (employees) or even section 3 (public) for failing to provide a safe working environment even though no accident has happened.

If you are firing them you do not fire them unless you know it is safe to do so - end of story.

Couldn't agree more... which is why someone with a cool head should always operate them; as opposed to people who panic under the pressure... else that golden rule is easier said than done.

We were instructed that the legal age to fire pyrotechnics is 16. Most manufacturer's guidelines suggest 18 years old - but apparently, this is merely a suggestion.

Oh, and on the license issue, I'm certain you don't need one as long as the venue is licensed for general performance/general entertainment venue as most school halls are as I mentioned previously. You have to do a detailed risk assessment and sign and date it though.

although you don't need afaik a licence to operate pyros you do need one to store them and this will involve an inspection of your storage facilaties.

you may decide that buying 4 pyros and using them that day means that you are not storing them, I would suggest that buying a box of 12 pyros and not using them all the same day would definatly involve storage

Storage only becomes an issue over a certain quantity. And from memory, that quantity is fairly large. (Think small war) However, I don't have my copy of the COP to hand to check.

Edit: Should have waited for Lincoln's reply. Having said that, 5kg of stage pyro is a lot in relation to most theatrical environments. Thats over 700 large theatrical flashes. Safety datasheet for these devices shows a NEQ of 7g. It also says, in red, that no one under 18 should handle or use the devices.

... because you are bound to ask...

NEC or NEQ = Nett Explosive Content or Nett Explosive Quantity

Firework chaps and chapettes tend to refer to it as NEC whilst

HSE, Pyro and special effects companies refer to it as NEQ.

Storage limits and Transport limits use NEC/NEQ as measurment.

... my pleasure

Lincoln

(See you on a course soon then !)

quote:

Storage of explosives for “Work†are not covered by the modern ’14 day rule’ and should be kept in licensed or registered stores - this will be the situation for most theatres where although actual stock may be held for only a few days, there will be many days in a year where some stock is held.

now I'm confused

explosives for work?.........explosives for fun?????????

14 day rule?

theatres should register stores?........irespective of stock level???????

• 2 weeks later...

At schools are you aloud to use certain effects aslong as its not using "pyro" eg streamers or anything of this site Effects

Thanks

Moderation, 13/3/04 13:14 - this post and Brian's reply, which were previously in a separate thread, have been merged into this thread as they seem to cover pretty much the same ground.

I guess you are referring to the CO2 powered gadgets? These are safer than a normal pyro, note that I said safer not safe, because no heat/flame is generated. They still project items through the air though so are still a hazard to eyes.

As with all things of this nature it's a question of training and risk assessment.

What is the actual effect you want to use.

Your school theatre (providing it has an entertaiment licence) can probably use any sorts of Pyro as long as its safe (i.e. the area is big enough), you get a risk assesment, the opperator is over 18 and has experiance with pyro and you get a licence from your local authority

Sam

you get a licence from your local authority

Just to clear something up - there's no such thing as a formal, full-blown "local authority pyro licence". Some local authorities (i.e. the people who issue your public ents licence) will insist that any pyro or naked flame must be inspected by the licensing officer before being used in a performance, and they will then give you permission, usually in the form of a letter, for the effects to be used. On the other hand, some venues and their licensing authorities, if they use a lot of this kind of thing, might have a 'blanket agreement' to cover pyro and flame use providing a set of basic conditions are met (distance from flammable objects, fire fighting equipment close at hand, fireproofing, etc.).

You need to check with your local licensing officer to find out what the local situation is for your venue. If you're unsure, ask them anyway - it always pays to keep the licensing officer on your side. They'd much rather be asked when you don't need to ask them, than the other way around. Another thing which I've occasionally found tends to 'oil the wheels' is to suggest that, if they're unsure about a specific effect, they should take this free ticket and come to tonight's show to see it operating 'in situ' (just to make sure that agreeing to it is the right decision, of course - it's not bribery in any way, shape or form!) - in fact, here's another one, you might as well bring the wife too .... :angry:

If you need the absolute chapter and verse re. local authorities and pyro, perhaps Lincoln would be kind enough to chip in at this point .... ?

Archived