building a flight case

Joe Bleasdale

Short of me calling you crazy!

If your question was where to get the stuff, well then thomann, CPC and then wood from local DIY shop.

As for construction, try google, there are even past threads on the BR on this topic.

Also is this really staging and rigging? :o

Moderation: Nope, it's General Tech Chat! :)

You should find this topic very useful. The OP wanted to build a flightcase to micro-mm acuracy, and we showed photos, diagram inserts etc.

We also attempted to put him off - have a read before you go any further. General concensus is that unless you have the tools and other workshop facilities, it simply isn't worth the bother! Having done it, and made the damn things myself (and they're still doing their job) I don't do it any more.

Adam Hall is another supplier of flightcase hardware.They also do design software - FlightCADSteve

As a different thought - a lot of the colleges and schools have their autumn/winter night school programme running now. Might be worth seeing if there is a woodworking course in your area where you could build your case as a project....

Building flight cases is a doddle.....

..if you have a good workshop, above average DIY/joinery skills and the correct equipment, the most important being a compound mitre saw with 1800/2000 RPM motor and 80 TPI blade, also router, jigsaw and quality pop riviter will come in handy.

If you can't fulfill the above, don't attempt it, cutting precsision mitre corners in aluminium extrusion by hand is a non starter.

• 2 weeks later...
Building flight cases is a doddle.....

..if you have a good workshop, above average DIY/joinery skills and the correct equipment, the most important being a compound mitre saw with 1800/2000 RPM motor and 80 TPI blade, also router, jigsaw and quality pop riviter will come in handy.

If you can't fulfill the above, don't attempt it, cutting precsision mitre corners in aluminium extrusion by hand is a non starter.

Naaaaaaah, Don't nead the mitre saw, you'll just get a sweat on without it. Most Aluminium extrusions are hidden behind the corners or braces, so accuracy is not paramount. Done all my flightcase Aluminium with a (metal cutting) hand saw.

I would reccomend a quality router with the correct bits, a Circ Saw, and a Jigsaw. The pop riviter also comes in handy.

If you still have no idea how to do it, then dimensions are paramount. Do a scale drawing, laying out all panels.

What type of case are you trying to make?

This would really help.

Archived