Gauze Curtain

Ash

Hi

Many shows have a front curtain made of gauze on which they paint their show poster or painting. This is popular in Musicals.

Anyone with advice on which type of gauze or scrim curtain is best for this type of curtain. Is there anything I should know about painting them?

Appreciate some advice.

Ash

Hi again Ash, so many questions this morning...

The common gauzes are either scenic gauze or sharktooth gauze, scenic is the lighter weight and more transparent of the two, sharktooth does a better dissolve.

In both cases you usually paint them with a dye so as not to block the holes, unless that is the effect you want. If you block the holes you won't be able to dissolve to the set behind the gauze as you bring the lights up. Mind you, painted gauze with the some of the holes blocked makes a pretty good forest canopy.

If you are painting yourself, rather than getting a scenic painting company to do it for you, then I suggest watered down paint and spray gun, with a fine spray nozzle.

If you are able to, experiment on a scrap of gauze first.

Remember when you are painting you can always add more paint to a cloth or gauze - its much more difficult to take it off!! So start with just a little paint and then add.....

Good luck

Hi Brian! and Suzette!

Yeah we are terribly excited in our school with the upcoming project - West Side Story. We want to try out new things (new for us but certainly not in the professional theatre scene).

For a high school in Singapore, using Gauze curtains, scene trucks and other effects are a great challenge.

I am trying to get our Woodwork department to construct the Trucks and Art Department to paint the Gauze Curtain.

I am certainly grateful for this forum site and all you NICE NICE people for your kind advice!! This way I hope we will make as little mistake as possible along the way!

Cheers!

Ash

Ash,

If you do use paint, use a good quality scenic paint which has much more pigment than the sort of paint used for painting walls.

In the UK, one suhg paint is Rosco Supersat, or Off Broadway - it is expensive but worth it.

Ellis

Archived