Serge

Sarah Q

Apologies if this has been answered before, but not really knowing my terminology, the Google search I did brought up no previous threads...

My friend works for an amateur theatre company, whose performance space had been condemned in February. It's only now that the place is beginning to be fixed up, and all the budget is being spent on making the place safe and workable.

They really need new stage drapes, but cannot afford to have them made by any of the usual places. The query I have been asked to present is - where can you buy the large amounts of appropriate black serge to make drapes? They have someone skilled enough to do the required sewing etc.... just don't have a contact for a (cheap) serge supplier....

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.... I'm off to lurk in lighting again now.... ;)

Begging cast offs is usually cheaper!

I did think that this might be the best option actually, but couldn't think of any theatres in the Sheffield area that might have old drape material that they wouldn't want anymore....

Many thanks for the help so far - it's much friendlier round these parts ;)

Hire companies, and event companies may well have stuff being retired. Trouble is getting second used stuff with certification of fire retardancy. Wool serge from Hainsworth should be naturally durably fire retardant. If its a re-equip after a failure then getting all the correct paperwork is important.

Question - is it a fact that the venue cannot afford to get the drapes made up?

I use Whaleys, in Bradford (not at all too far from Sheffield) for virtually all our soft goods and have found them very reasonable on price.

Whilst not a recent quote, (2005), the latest price I had for black tabs was for Bolton Twill 5.9m x 4.85m c/w snap hooks & chain in the base - £223 the pair plus vat & carr.

EDIT:

Just had a thought - Stage Electrics did have some drapes on sale on their Ebay web-shop. Can't see them there now, but MAY be worth a tickle...

I believe it is a small church hall type venue, but could be wrong.... That price seems very reasonable to me, will pass the information on.

I personally think having them professionally made will make the drapes a lot more durable, but I suppose it's a question of budget....

Thanks again

I personally think having them professionally made will make the drapes a lot more durable, but I suppose it's a question of budget....

So long as the sewing machine is OK, try sewing 2 pieces of cotton together and see if you can pull them apart you should not be able to see the stitches between the 2 pieces of fabric, and you use good quality thread (Gutermann would be my choice) there is no reason not to make your own tabs except it is a boring job.

Archived