2-way radios

iamchristuffin

The Alan 456 is an excellent PMR446 radio, but there are cheaper ones available from Argos or Asda. The 'PMR' stands for Public Mobile Radio, with the emphasis on the 'public'. Depending on where you are you can get a lot of interference from Joe Soap who is trigger happy on the PTT button. Having said that we use them all the time as we are on an island, eleven miles from the mainland and don't have an interference problem (yet!!!).

There's a wealth of information about PMR446 on this forum.

HTH.

John

In the radio section on ebay, you'll find a number of UHF walkie-talkies - pmr446 is pretty crowded, but the better ones that are real radios, not toys, are useful. I bought some more powerful wide band UHF ones from Hong Kong, to operate on frequencies I have a licence for. However, they will work in the 446 band, and although not complying with the spec in terms of type approval, power and non-detachable antenna requirement, they work fine.

Have a read of this forum TX1, where there is a section on 446 kit, and these Chinese radios. Should help you.

Paul

Ben - splitting hairs here, but the Mptorola 300 series are excellent, pretty bomb proof radios - but careful how you refer to them They are in fact PMR rados - PMR446 is a different beast. PMR446 = licence free, but most importantly, privacy free - anybody can listen in, and despite claims for having many channels, they only have 8 available channels, but are often sold as "48 channel". This is a bit misleading as all it means is a tone lock system is fitted which means you don't hear users on the channel who don't have a matching tone system in operation. Although they can hear you! So in busy areas, they will interfere with your service - I visited a theatre where they were using PMR446 to give cues, and were complaining that sometimes 'GO' cues were not received. Their own FOH team also had a similar set of radios, and were really on the same frequency - so they were interfering with themselves (that doesn't read right, does it?)

Ofcom make it clear in their info that:

PMR 446 is not suitable for safety of life use or for users who need to have access to frequencies at particular locations and times.

PMR offers higher power equipment, better security, better reliability, better protection from interference by the authorities and far worse cost.

The 300 series was often used by government agencies, but the Police preferred the older 600 series until their new Tetra/Airwave systems came on-line. It was, however popular as a secondary system operating simplex.

No Ben, you are spot on. The 300 series are professional radios - in fact, very popular in theatres. They do need a PMR licence and are expensive. Buying 2nd hand isn't normally easy for someone without communication equipment experience. Ofcom give you the operating frequency, and you need software to programme them. If you have all this, then this kind of kit appears on eBay frequently. The only common defect is that the batteries may be nackered.

Chris wants decent comms for under £100. Brand new, then PMR446 is an option, subject to the various snags it has, as a free, unregulated service. A couple of GP340's on a licenced channel would be great, but unlikely to be done for £100.

How much are you looking to spend on Renting the two way radios, what type do you want and how long do you need them for and lastly where are you?

im in leicester, I need them for a week, preferbably I would like Moterola ones. I dont know how much I want to spend I just want to get a price

sam

I don't know about the UK - but in Australia, the cheapest way to get a hand full of 2-way radios on a licensed frequency is to lease them.

We had a 5 year lease on 6 2-ways, 2 channels, and it cost (from memory AU$300 per year). The bonus being that in 5 years time, we could trade in for new 2-ways. The cost of the lease seemed to work on a sliding scale, longer contracts, lower anual cost, more handsets, the cheaper the price per unit was.

The main downside, they are fairly strict on emmissions - ours were down at a very low level, and had problems between our office floors, level 5 and the boardrooms on levels 30 and 31. I believe it is because they resell the frequency to a number of different locations, so the lower power limit allows them to get more from their frequencies.

Archived